sheep wool/daggings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheep wool/daggings

I am new to gardening forums so please excuse if I botch the post.
    I have a promise of some daggings. These are the poopy bits of wool cut from a sheep's rear end.
    I am thinking they will be a good source of slow release nitrogen with the poop a wee tasty (for the plants) bonus.
    What would be the best way to use these? I don't dig much so was planning to use it as a mulch. Which fruit/veg would benefit most? Should I combine it with a nitrogen rich fertilizer? Will it blow away? Or should I just put it in a compost heap?
    Has anyone any experience of using this?

Hi muck lover and welcome.

Have a read of http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...veg_94152.html

Comment

Thanks veggiechicken.
      I followed the link and was interested to see suggestions for using this material. think I will use it to mulch under three new blackcurrant bushes I have recently planted and hope that it doesn't blow into my neighbour's garden. And I have a new bed I am lasagne layering so maybe a layer on that.
      I was interested in the fact that there are commercial products made of wool. Of course free from the horse's mouth (or sheep's butt in this case) has a lot of appeal for me.

Comment

Well, there's a thing. I'd never thought of using sheep's wool or daggings (great word). I'll have to talk to one of my shepherd friends and see whether I can get some off his flock (preferably pre-sheared!).

Hello and welcome, muck lover, by the way.

Comment

With my work, I had to visit a Wool grading and packing depot and it was fascinating to see the process. Sorting the fleeces by quality and length of fibre but I remember to this day the smell of the mound of daggings in the corner of the warehouse.
          I also remember how the graders (men) wanted to hold my hands - just to demonstrate how much softer their skin was than mine! "
          Its the Lanolin, you know. People pay a fortune to have skin this soft."
          I don't recommend immersing your hands in daggings though.

Comment

Would it not be treated like fresh muck... Compost before applying

My Gran used to make Sheep Manure Tea for tomato feed

Comment

it can get maggoty when the wheather warms up thats why they trim the back end of the sheep the maggots eat into the sheeps flesh and that aint good! atb Dal

Comment

Ah I see. I thought it was removed at the time of shearing to increase the value of fleeces. But nobody in their right mind would be shearing sheep here at the moment. It ain’t warm!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X