Sweet Millions.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      Has the plant on the lefts stem bent over to the left?
      I think because I've removed some of the lower stems, the entire plant has become lopsided (very top heavy). The left side is bunched up because of the front cover dropping down.

Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
      I water (at this time of year as I know the pots will have filled with root) once early in the morning, enough to know that the pot is wet... I then water again in the evening just so the pot is wet again... That way in my mind they have just enough to get on with growing without having to endure a flood. I also 'cheat' and have a cheap moisture meter from wilkos
      I don't have the time to water daily, so I water in the evenings after 6pm to allow the plants to drink. I wish I'd bought one of those self-watering gadgets. I have a moisture meter. It's moist after watering and dry by the following evening.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Is it in a plastic grow house? I think that’s hour problem - they are getting cooked. When in a GH they are often shaded and have reasonable airflow 1 those plastic things have neither. Generally I don’t think it would be a problem but this is strange weather. It’s much to hot to be behind plastic.
      I've left the front screen open for the past two weeks. My worry was catching blight, which happened last year when I kept the toms uncovered.

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
      From memory Tomorite doesnt contain magnesium. Epsom salts is easiest way but I use that at planting and in each feed, and still get some deficiency on bottom leaves.
      I sprayed epsom salts on the leaves last week and added a bit to the soil. Maybe I should start on each feed.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
        I think because I've removed some of the lower stems, the entire plant has become lopsided (very top heavy).
        It looks like maybe you have two leaders if ones already tied to the stake,be careful if fruit weighs it down the stem could break. What variety are they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          It looks like maybe you have two leaders if ones already tied to the stake,be careful if fruit weighs it down the stem could break. What variety are they?
          Gardener's delight. I'll add another stake. I'd remove the second leader but it's got loads of flowers on it.

Comment

• Ive kept a lot of second leaders for that reason too you might be able to tie it in to the stake that’s there,GD shouldn’t be too heavy you know

Comment

• Picked today...
              Minibel.
              North Pole.
              First time growing North Pole tomato. Can't seem to find any information on line but it's a fine tomato. Determinate, red, slightly acidic. Well pleased with it snd will grow it again
              Not a huge crop but a nicely flavoured early tomato.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Hi all,

Is it too early for tomatoes to ripen? I have lots of fruit but not a sign of ripening. They also have reached their full size (I think)

Comment

• I'd say its too early for outdoor toms, especially the bigger ones.
                  I stagger my plants and aim for small windowsill/hanging basket types for the early crops. Then bush tomatoes for the next crops and finally the vines and bigger toms.............and they're all in a GH.

Comment

• ive been on red alert outdoors for about a fortnight, maybe longer.

Comment

• Spent last evening pruning the tom plants. Both had an abundance of growth in the past week, causing them to tip over. I'd see a fruiting branch that would then turn into a leader and produce more branches. It was like some out-of-control rapid growth.

The plants have been trimmed down and the bamboo stakes have been secured to the metal frames of the blowaways.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                        Spent an evening pruning the tom plants.....
                        The plants have been trimmed down and the bamboo stakes have been secured to the metal frames of the blowaways.
                        What varieties are you growing? Cordon or bush?

Have you been taking out the side shoots?
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 24-07-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          What varieties are you growing? Cordon or bush?

Have you been taking out the side shoots?
                          Gardener's delight and moneymaker - both cordon and I've removed sideshoots where possible, though I hadn't for the past two weeks.

Comment

• A couple of photos of the tomato plants sown on 15th January. Started picking 1st July.
                            A few plants have finished and been removed, some are still going strong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0089.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	2380459

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0090.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	2380460

Will I do it again next year? Of course I will.

Comment

• All mine were sown on 15th Feb. Those kept in conservatory have been on compost heap 2 weeks but did start picking 20th June. The ones moved to greenhouse on 2nd April and had a cold weather set back so stated fruit later end July are still going but will be finished in a couple of weeks. Next year plan plant half again in feb and and the other half a month later, unless see better advice on here

Comment

• Thread closed (sorry Scarlet )

2019 thread at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_98334.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X