Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So........When do you sow your Cucumber seeds then?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late April for me usually; I might take punt on late March this and see what happens....

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
      Start quite late - I only really grow them for the local show and that's in the second week of September, start them too early and they go over or get scratched by their own leaves.... 'Carmen' is a regular late one. I end up eating the curly ones, the scratched ones, the misfits. We think of cucumbers as being green but, akin to bananas, their ripe state is to turn yellow - which would disqualify them! I didn't get a First last year on cucumbers, was pipped - so peeved! The Victorians had the answer to perfectly straight cucumbers and grew them in individualised hand-blown glass tubes (see pic), which also protected them - I have seen them in museums but they're now hideously expensive as "antiques". Could do with an alternative, to steal a march, if anyone has any suggestions? (Other than "Get a life!" )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78373[/ATTACH]
      Down pipe? Would keep the sun off too so they'd stay pale and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
        ... The Victorians had the answer to perfectly straight cucumbers and grew them in individualised hand-blown glass tubes (see pic), which also protected them - I have seen them in museums but they're now hideously expensive as "antiques". Could do with an alternative, to steal a march, if anyone has any suggestions?
        You could try plastic bird feeders, take out the ports and cover over the holes

Supa Plastic 10 Port Seed Feeder Green 76cm (30") only £8.49
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I've just discovered that George Stephenson, he of "Rocket" fame, invented the cucumber straightener, and had them made at his steam engine factory in Newcastle.

The internet is a wonderful thing God wot!
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

I usually sow mine mid April.

I was putting my seeds into "sow month" bundles the other week and discovered that of the three packets of Marketmore cucs, 2 say sow April and one, a Mr Fothergill's says sow February. Thought it strange but I'm going to sow some in February to see what happens.
            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              I've just discovered that George Stephenson, he of "Rocket" fame, invented the cucumber straightener, and had them made at his steam engine factory in Newcastle.

Wow, interesting stuff.

Regards Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by hop-a-long View Post
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Shape...-/262792369668
                You need to secure them really well together over the fruit, when it's still small enough to to fit in. First ones I tried, the expanding cucumbers just pushed them apart. But I did get a couple of well defined ones after which were good for a laugh!
                Thanks for the thought, hop-a-long - so these are bolted together in two halves, clever, I've often wondered how the Victorians got their prized specimens out of the glass tubes. I think a heart-shaped one would get me disqualified if not just from that category, for life (good idea, could get on with something else!) They don't seem to do straight ones which is the bees-knees (if bees have straight knees?) of the village show... But I like the principle and will investigate. Thanks. bb.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Down pipe? Would keep the sun off too so they'd stay pale and interesting.
                  Interesting idea.... I think the fruit needs light (and the deeper the colour usually the higher the score I suspect...). I will check the Judges Rulebook.....

Comment

You could try plastic bird feeders, take out the ports and cover over the holes

Supa Plastic 10 Port Seed Feeder Green 76cm (30") only £8.49
                    That's a cool idea, mothhawk, thank you, will investigate that one. Yes, don't want bumps growing out of the feeder holes lol.... bb.

Comment

April. They always rot nevertheless.

Comment

Brilliant research, mothhawk, that's a gem! I grew up near the Rocket - well thought I did, it's on permanent display in Canterbury, but turns out it's actually not the very original Rocket but Rocket Mark 2 called "The Invicta Engine". George Stephenson, what a problem solver! Major contributor to world civilisation - and such a tough early life, well worth reading up on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephenson

Straight cucumber? No problem! One sentence in Wiki is particularly fascinating about the gardening aspect: "He was also a keen gardener throughout his life; during his last years at Tapton House, he built hothouses in the estate gardens, growing exotic fruits and vegetables in a 'not too friendly' rivalry with Joseph Paxton's father, head gardener at nearby Chatsworth House, twice beating the master of the craft."

Thanks, mothhawk, made my day! bb.

Comment

All I can say for sure is, not yet! But maybe mid April to early May. I might even wait until mid May and sow them directly outdoors in the ground.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X