No announcement yet.

Economy gardening tips for this year please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In no dig as Nick says you need a lot of material. Free from stables, tree surgeons, park/churchyard leaves, cardboard etc. But it is heighly effective once you learn to work it, Charles Dowding is the King of the technique and has books and youtube advice.
    For the paths, cardboard and then deep woodchip, after a couple of seasons that will rot and need topping up, but what you discover is that the plants in the beds either side reach under the paths and get the nutrients from that breaking down wood chip, so Win/Win.
    Get the bed widths so they are comfortable to reach from each side and no more, path widths need to be able to take your wheelbarrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
      Will have a word with the allotment officer to see if i can dismantle and reuse. Not certain that i will get a positive reply as it is one of the few redeeming features of that plot. If not i have some piping that i can use to create a few frames, but will need some ideas as to how i can use the piping to make a frame high enough for the blackcurrants
      A lot of people use blue water pipe to make cages/covers. Easiest way of doing it is with green canes (like bamboo but plastic so it wont rot). Push them into the ground and slot the pipe over the top from one side to the other so its in a ‘n’ shape. Tie a brace bar along the top to stabilise the structure and then just add your netting.
      You may actually be lucky, the birds might leave your fruit alone - they do on mine, so i dont bother netting.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
        In no dig as Nick says you need a lot of material. Free from stables, tree surgeons, park/churchyard leaves, cardboard etc. But it is heighly effective once you learn to work it, Charles Dowding is the King of the technique and has books and youtube advice.
        For the paths, cardboard and then deep woodchip, after a couple of seasons that will rot and need topping up, but what you discover is that the plants in the beds either side reach under the paths and get the nutrients from that breaking down wood chip, so Win/Win.
        Get the bed widths so they are comfortable to reach from each side and no more, path widths need to be able to take your wheelbarrow!
        The allotment does have an area that has a lot of wood chip. Now i have to find some local stables - and a trailer, don't think the wife and kids would be happy me putting half a tonne of horse manure in the boot!

Trying to think of places that will have plenty of cardboard and newspaper locally. I have popped to the local coffee shop thinking that someone will have already arranged to take their coffee grounds, but no - they currently bin it!
        Off to the local greengrocers tomorrow to see what they do with their leftover fruit and veg.
        I have also discovered that hair is a great compost ingredient!

But i am asking myself if the effort of gathering these compost ingredients is worth it with horse manure so cheap - one place is offering it free if you collect....
        Does anybody have any good ideas for sturdy bags to put the compost in to transport?

Comment

I collect manure in plastic trugs. Easier to handle and they don't fall over in the boot. Check with your plot neighbours - sometimes manure is delivered to allotments - or council green waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Bex2012 View Post
            A lot of people use blue water pipe to make cages/covers. Easiest way of doing it is with green canes (like bamboo but plastic so it wont rot). Push them into the ground and slot the pipe over the top from one side to the other so its in a ‘n’ shape. Tie a brace bar along the top to stabilise the structure and then just add your netting.
            You may actually be lucky, the birds might leave your fruit alone - they do on mine, so i dont bother netting.

Ive got a good length of piping behind shed in the garden! Its really sturdy stuff with a metal layer to it, not sure what the purpose was.... but because of that metal layer it is quite stiff
            Now off to find some cheap netting.....

Comment

Ive got a good length of piping behind shed in the garden! Its really sturdy stuff with a metal layer to it, not sure what the purpose was.... but because of that metal layer it is quite stiff
              Now off to find some cheap netting.....
              If you are near an ikea, they do net curtains for about a fiver, they are huge and would probably work.

Comment

The allotment does have an area that has a lot of wood chip. Now i have to find some local stables - and a trailer, don't think the wife and kids would be happy me putting half a tonne of horse manure in the boot!

Trying to think of places that will have plenty of cardboard and newspaper locally. I have popped to the local coffee shop thinking that someone will have already arranged to take their coffee grounds, but no - they currently bin it!
                Off to the local greengrocers tomorrow to see what they do with their leftover fruit and veg.
                I have also discovered that hair is a great compost ingredient!

But i am asking myself if the effort of gathering these compost ingredients is worth it with horse manure so cheap - one place is offering it free if you collect....
                Does anybody have any good ideas for sturdy bags to put the compost in to transport?
                Dust bins with clip on lids at Wickes for 11/12£ each.
                If you can stand the initial outlay they will reap rewards in as much as not only being 'Smell Proof' Manure carriers ( as long as you can lift them in the boot once full) they also double as Compost Revivalists and water containers ,Wellie stores and lots of other things if you think outside the box.

I steralize all my pots in them this time of year and store pots and seed trays in the winter, very rarely do they stand empty.
                Last edited by geepee; 03-02-2018, 10:20 PM.
                Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

A good mix of ingredients makes for a better compost overall. For The Horse muck try putting a plastic 'liner' in the boot and use 'tubs' for the manure. that way they won't fall over and spill while being manageable to carry. Plus you can line the seats and make the wife walk.....Er...maybe thats too much.

Comment

An off-topic question

I have a camping chair that has a tear in the fabric. Looking for a needle and thread to repair it, but lets just say that is well outside my area of expertise!

Looking to order these needles:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...WGPF0WL2&psc=1

And This thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7EBFTPLY&psc=1

Will those do the job?

Comment

An off-topic question

I have a camping chair that has a tear in the fabric. Looking for a needle and thread to repair it, but lets just say that is well outside my area of expertise!

Looking to order these needles:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...WGPF0WL2&psc=1

And This thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7EBFTPLY&psc=1

Will those do the job?
                      What type of fabric is it and how fussed are you about the finish? (photo would help - surprise, surpise) Also are you able to establish why there is a tear? (no point repairing if the fabric has weakened with age, if it was an accident and it snagged than a different matter)

Comment

You could take it to one of the Repair Cafe's and they will do it and show you how. There are 4 in Cardiff - here's one Repair Café Cardiff | Your Cathays

Comment

Hi Norfolk grey.

It is a standard cheapo camping chair made of a sort of nylon(?) canvas. There is a seam that has pulled apart so stitching should do the job.

Those cafes look a really good idea VeggiChicken, but family and full time job mean I won’t get to them unless they open past 8pm....!

Comment

Hi Norfolk grey.

It is a standard cheapo camping chair made of a sort of nylon(?) canvas. There is a seam that has pulled apart so stitching should do the job.

Those cafes look a really good idea VeggiChicken, but family and full time job mean I won’t get to them unless they open past 8pm....!
                            Those needles and thread are fine. You could use monofilament/ fishing line (if that is any easier for you to find)

Comment

Hi all, i have a few plants that i dont recognise. I think some are weeds, but really not sure. Can anybody please help identify?

Photo 1 - Tanacetum parthenium - feverfew

Photo 2 - Hyacinthoides hispanica - Spanish bluebell

Photo 3 - Saxifraga × urbium London pride
                              Last edited by Rapscallion; 05-04-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Photo 4 - strawberries mixed up with what are probably hardy geraniums aka cranes-bill

Photo 5 - Primula on left, lychnis on the right
                                Last edited by Rapscallion; 05-04-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X