No announcement yet.

Sweetcorn recommendations?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also had good results with Swift F1 in the past.

Never grown Lark F1, but would certainly consider, and would suggest getting them here:
    SowSeeds Sweetcorn Lark F1

Another suggestion is Sundance F1. Here's one I grew in 2016:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundance F1 2016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2376057

Comment

Another fan of Lark here

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

I'm not sure how much of a problem wind'll be; we've had crazy strong winds since I took on the plot, but that might just be the season, and when there are leaves on the trees it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad. I hope

I can always cobble something together from sticks if needed, I don't need to worry about badger deterring chicken wire though; unless they can pick locks, they ain't getting in.
        My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

I plan to have a crack at Glass Gem this year, as I randomly stumbled on pictures online and was mesmerized by them. The cobs look stunning

So I managed to source seeds from South Africa and have them now. I've personally not seen anything resembling this on sale in my little corner of Blighty.

Not much experience of sweetcorn as I can't grow them to maturity in my little plot - it doesn't get enough sun - but I'm going to make an extra effort with this as it seems that little bit special. So I'm thinking a row possibly two deep of roomy pots on the patio, with supports so they can't blow over.

Doesn't look like it's one to be picked and cooked in the usual way, rather it's better as popcorn supposedly. To be honest if I can grow them properly I'd be happy just having them as a feature to gaze at

Comment

I have grown Swift and Lark along with Incredible before, all of which gave good results. They are all F1's (In fact there aren't many sweetocrn that aren't F1's.) Just out of daftness I tried growing the following year from my own kept seed and as expected they were rubbish

This year on my quest for a non-F1 allotment I am trying sweet corn True Gold naturally nurtured seed. We'll see if its worth keeping seed from it at the end of the season or not!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grew some here in Hampshire last year, but can't remember the name - Doh! Came up lovely though. This year I am going to try "Brilliant", as it is very well reviewed.
              Last edited by freefolk; 07-01-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I have tried Brilliant but found it bland, kernels were quite small too, but It might have been down to my growing

Comment

True Gold (premier seeds on fleabay) but only because I try my hardest to avoid f1's. I was led to believe Bantum is a warmer climate variety so never tried it and also tried two varieties from realseeds with variable results, so True Gold is my go to variety now

Comment

Here in "balmy" Yorkshire I discovered Lark several years ago and am not tempted to change. Absolutely reliable every year here and my neighbours (comparing theirs to mine) are now also converted.

Comment

OK, I'm a big Lark advocate and am very unlikely to change. But out of interest, has anyone here tried Challenger? It gets a good write-up in France. Apparently it only takes 72 days to maturity, so it's slightly earlier than Lark and hence might be worth considering for people in unfavourable climes.
                      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 07-01-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

For anyone looking for unusual sweetcorn to try growing, then Jungle Seeds has a good selection.

Red, Blue, White, Giant and Mini varieties.

Jungle Seeds SweetCorn

Comment

UK based too, brilliant
                          Hopi Blue looks very nice, that'd be my first choice I think. Definitely need more blue foods in circulation..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X