Propagators and seed trays

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
    I've been using the garden planner to help schedule my growing, but ran into problems last year with plants failing because the compost was running out of energy before I could get them outside.
    Hope to be better prepared this year with some additional protection..
    Try mixing some slow release fertiliser into your compost, or when you think your young plants are beginning to flag, when watering add a little liquid feed into the water
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
      I'm looking at propagators eg geopod to help germinate and grow some plants
      I think it's very unlikely that nobody else has a geopod or vitapod, or at least some kind of similar home made combination of heat and light. I'd certainly have one if I had the money and space at the moment.

If you don't grow chillies or peppers, then you might not see the need for this kind of set up. But if you do, then the variable thermostat and lighting will give you options and results you wouldn't get with a more basic set up.

Yes, these things cost money, but if you have the circumstances, growing space and enthusiasm for it, then I wish you the best of luck.

And I hope you'll continue to post here and share your progress reports

Comment

Thanks all. There have been posts on people buying vitapods and geopods so I known I'm not the only one. It's much cheaper than having a greenhouse for which I don't have the space.

I'll have a look at the garden-focused site. Looks promising.

Comment

I know "Skeggijohn" had a "geopod" which he was awarded by Santa, not last year but the year before if memory serves well (Where's he these days by the way) and he raved about his.

I have a "Vitopod" not yet used as unfortunately I bought it for last years beginning of the season, but ended up putting my gardening on a back burner looking after my terminally ill Brother, so can't really give a review.

I've realistically thought about investing in a "geopod", and in fact there's now an updated version of the "Vitopod" including a light rig which I am looking at with interest.

But will say one thing as Chris as already stipulated.

I do grow chillies and tomatoes which these set-up's do help in getting my plants off to a flying start, I don't spend hundreds of pounds on a season ticket following my local football team, this is my hobby, and it gives me many pleasurable hours of enjoyment and content.

So can justify the outlay!

Trying to convince our lass is another issue!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

...........and don't forget your grow light garden, Deano

Comment

Shush!!!!!!!!!!!

That's in the loft!

She doesn't know about that yet!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

OK, I won't say anything
                There are so many options for growing with heat and light but the deciding factor should be whether its good for the seeds/plants you want to grow.
                I've use a basic heated propagator for germinating and some made-up lights for growing them on if they're too early to go out. Like you though, going out means into a greenhouse. Without a GH, I think its better not to rush into sowing anything that will be planted outside.
                Monkeyboy's decision to make!

Comment

VC! I use my heated implements for my crops that are gunna be grown "Under cover" the likes of chilies, tomatoes, cucumbers n the likes.

Gunna have a stab at a "Cape Goseberry this year as I have never grown one!

The things that really need an helping hand to get a good start!

We'll see!

Comment

Sorry! Got "Tangentised"

Your call MB!

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                      Shush!!!!!!!!!!!

That's in the loft!

She doesn't know about that yet!
                      she may not know about it ...but Plod may know about it!!!!LOL listen for the choppers circling at night . atb Dal.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                        The only real decent space I have to grow anything would be the south-facing utility room. But it's single skinned so can get very cold in there until April. The geopod has a thermostat to control the temperature, and comes with growlights to help reduce legginess.
                        Anything you start early needs a home at night if they are frost tender as you haven't got a greenhouse to grow them on. How many plants can you keep in your utility room? Toms can't really go out until least mid may and chillies the same...you may end up with lovely looking plants by April and no where for them to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          I am veering to VC's approach on this one, do some more research before spending that kind of money, I think I could go as far as to say you would probably the only person here with one, which should give pause for thought.
                          Excuse me your Excellency..MOM and G,Guru.....but without asking the question how do you know that to be the case ..????? obviously you must have MYSTIQUE Powers..?
                          Gp
                          Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

MoM knows everything - never argue with MoM or he'll give you a clip round the ear
                            He's probably basing it on there being very little mention of geopods and that most of us are too poor or mean to buy one.
                            Even searching the Vine for geopod comes up with very little info. Skegijon had one but we haven't seen him for a while (hope you're OK Skeggi?).
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 30-12-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Good to see you sticking up for MOM ,VC.....As far as a clip round the ear ....bring it on......if I'm proved to deserve it , I,ll accept it...My mother used to use a Cricket bat for that......The next plumber I meet with a Degree in gardening /Horticulture , I will willingly bow to ( after seeing the scroll)
                              Gp
                              Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

You don't need a Degree in gardening to know how to garden successfully. Believe me, Potty has it down to a fine art, especially for small space gardening. He's generous with his plumbing knowledge too.
                                I'll always stick up for MoM 'cos he's the best MoM in the world, after mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X