• Penellype
    replied
    In the tunnel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2560434

The kale has been netted as the pigeons were eating it. The romanesco plant beyond produces some edible shoots and has been left to see if there are any more, but it looks unlikely. The 3 PSB plants are struggling badly. Meteor peas have been planted down the middle of the tunnel - these have been mulched with compost from the old hotbed.

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2560435

Plenty of new growth on the strawberries. The bigger leeks (Oarsman) at the far end are just starting to bolt. The Northern Lights beyond them are growing better now.

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2560436

Finally some signs of flower shoots on the PSB at the end of the tunnel.

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2560437

Leeks and strawberries from the other end.

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2560438

This view shows just how poor some of the PSB plants are. There is a pile of compost beyond them which has come from the old potato buckets - this will be spread when the brassicas come out.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Early with the photos this morning:

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2560428

Rhubarb is growing well and the blackthorn is flowering, but no sign yet of buds on the apple and pear trees opening. The net is still off the top of the tunnel as I am not yet convinced that the threat of snow is over.

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2560429

The old hotbed is now half empty, the compost having been used for buckets of potatoes. Strawberries in the growhouse are growing well.

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2560430

The hotbed cover has been opened for the day. There are 8 cauliflower plants in the bed behind.

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	116
ID:	2560431

The overwintered spinach is producing plenty of new growth. 8 buckets of potatoes (4 Lady C and 4 Desiree) under the cover. I have mulched the buckets with Strulch to keep moisture in and prevent weeds.

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2560432

The nearest bed is ready for parsnips and cauliflowers. The parsnips in the bed behind are about to bolt - these are very mixed this year, probably due to lack of water in the hot weather. I have calabrese, kohlrabi and turnips in the greenhouse ready to make use of this bed.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	023.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	2558807

Spinach and lettuce in the hotbed. I am just about managing to keep on top of the grass. The gap in the row of spinach was probably due to a slug which I removed from that area a couple of weeks ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	2558808

Onions in the hotbed are growing well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	2558809

A better view of the Oarsman leeks.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	018.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	2558810

Last year's forced rhubarb is re-growing despite being ignored during the summer drought.

Click image for larger version  Name:	019.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	2558811

More rhubarb in the shady corner near the woodshed.
    Last edited by Penellype; 03-03-2023, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    In the tunnel

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2558800

Brassicas are still not looking at all happy, although I have managed to harvest a few small romanesco florets from the greenest plant.

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2558801

Strawberries are beginning to produce a little new growth. The Oarsman leeks have been excellent, but there are not many left.

Name:	031.JPG
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2558802

The PSB plants have been netted to protect them from pigeons. They are starting to look a little happier and might manage to produce a few shoots if I am lucky.

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2558803

The kale is growing slowly.

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	137
ID:	2558804

The Northern Lights leeks do not look at all happy.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Photos taken on 1st March

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2558794

The bluebells in the hedge will be flowering soon.

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2558795

2 trays of strawberries have been moved into the growhouse.

Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2558796

Spring bulbs starting to flower and the buds on the blueberry bushes are breaking.

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2558797

The spinach under the net is growing very very slowly.

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	138
ID:	2558798

The last of the calabrese died and has been removed. The parsnips in the bed behind are beginning to grow again.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2557348

The brassicas in the tunnel are looking very sorry for themselves, although some are doing better than others. The cover has been removed from the romanesco for the moment as it was being shredded by the wind. The nearest plant had its bud eaten by slugs last summer but has produced 2 heads and a further shoot. I don't know how much bigger these will get. The kale in the middle was put in to fill a vacant place left by a cauliflower. The next plant is the same variety of romanesco as the nearest one, but looks very unhappy indeed, whereas the one next to it looks ok.

Views:	132
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2557349

Not a lot happening with the strawberries. The leeks are slowly being harvested.

Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2557350

The broccoli at the end of the tunnel doesn't look too bad compared to the rest.

Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2557353

A better view of the leeks, which have since perked up a bit after milder weather.

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	133
ID:	2557352

Several of the calabrese plants have died and been removed, but this one is producing sideshoots which might be edible. The staple next to it was one of several ripped out of the weed matting by the wind.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    February photos (taken 1st Feb)

Views:	141
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2557342

Not a lot has changed here.

Views:	129
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2557343

The hotbed has been filled, covered and sown with spinach and lettuce. Normally I sow beetroot as well, but this year I an experimenting with planting onions in half of it in an attempt to avoid white rot. The onions have also been planted. The cover is open as the weather was warm.

Views:	131
ID:	2557344

The spinach sown last year is still alive but hasn't grown much over winter, if at all.

Name:	023.JPG
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2557345

The romanesco plant and 2 of the calabrese were completely dead and have been removed. The remaining calabrese have small green shoots but whether they will produce anything edible remains to be seen. The plastic bags on the bed behind are covering where the beetroot was, to stop the cats using the bed as a litter tray.

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2557346

The hotbed is growing a good crop of grass from hay seeds mixed in with the horse muck. Weeding this takes ages and it grows back as fast as I can pull it out. The lettuce in the 2nd row from the left have just started to germinate. A couple of the onions have started to sprout too.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Views:	156
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2555670

The parsnips didn't mind the frost, but I don't hold out much hope for the remaining beetroot. As usual after rain, the paths next to this bed are flooded.

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2555671

The Oarsman leeks (left) are faring much better than the Northern Lights.

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2555672

The Florence fennel still has green shoots but the stems appear to have rotted.

Name:	037.JPG
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2555673

Under its plastic cover the romanesco looks reasonably happy. Small flower heads are starting to form.

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2555674

The calabrese looks very sad indeed and a couple of the plants look completely dead.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    In the tunnel

Click image for larger version  Name:	031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	2555664

The plastic cover seems to have protected the romanesco from the worst of the weather.

Click image for larger version  Name:	030.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	2555665

The strawberries look a bit brown but should recover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	2555666

Most of the leaves on the PSB look dead but the tops are still green.

Click image for larger version  Name:	033.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	2555667

The Oarsman leeks went floppy in the frost but seem to have recovered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	2555668

The kale continues to grow slowly but I haven't harvested any yet.
    Last edited by Penellype; 03-01-2023, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    January photos (taken 1st Jan)

Views:	153
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2555658

The runner beans have been cut down - I was hoping to overwinter the roots, which are still there, in the hope that they might regrow, but I rather doubt it after the very cold weather. The 2 trees in the buckets are the minarette apple and pear that I have had at home under the arch for 3 years. They were desperate for repotting and were not producing any fruit so I have brought them down to the allotment where they will get more sun and potted them up. If they produce fruit I will plant them, although I am not yet sure where, if they continue to sulk I will probably get rid of them.

Size:	980.6 KB
ID:	2555659

The nearest bed now contains the contents of both hotbeds, ready to be used for buckets of potatoes. The nasturtiums have been removed from the growhouse bed.

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	922.3 KB
ID:	2555660

All looking very empty here - the hotbed will be filled in mid January, weather permitting.

Views:	149
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2555661

The spinach appears to have survived the frost.

Views:	152
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2555662

The calabrese is looking very sad but there are a couple of greener shoots near the bottoms of the plants which might possibly grow.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Views:	171
ID:	2554731

Everything looking very wintery now at the bottom of the plot, but the ground has soaked up all that rain really well. When the old raspberries come out, probably after next summer's crop (if any), I may put 2 more raised beds here - if I can find some that don't cost an arm and a leg. The raspberries have taught me that growing at ground level here is probably not going to work. The alternative would be to use this area for buckets of potatoes. I have plenty of time to think about it.

Views:	175
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2554732

The rhubarb that I dug up and chucked in a bucket behind the shed thinks it is spring.

Views:	168
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2554733

The compost area and blueberry bushes have more light now that the hedge has been cut down.

Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2554734

Romanesco plants look reasonably happy under their cover.

Name:	031.JPG
ID:	2554735

Proof that there is something vaguely edible in amongst all those tattered and yellowing calabrese leaves.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Views:	177
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2554725

The romanesco is starting to develop heads so I have covered it with plastic sheeting to keep the rain off as last year bits that got cold and wet turned brown. Now I just have to hope that it isn't full of aphids. The whitefly on the brassicas seems to be disappearing, probably more due to the time of year than my spraying with SMC oil. The aphids are fewer too, but there are still enough around to be a real pain.

Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2554726

Florence fennel down the centre of the tunnel is growing slowly and a couple are nearly ready to eat as baby fennel.

Views:	177
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2554727

The leeks are doing well - there are 2 varieties here: Oarsman on the left and Northern Lights on the right. The Oarsman have grown into some of the biggest leeks I have ever grown, but I haven't a clue whether this was due to the weather or the fact that I mulched the bed with old hotbed contents before planting.

Views:	173
ID:	2554728

The strawberries are gradually taking over more and more of this bed. I can't bear to dig them out, but I am going to have to curtail them somehow if I want to grow anything else!

Views:	174
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2554729

The kale is slowly recovering from the initial slug attack and hopefully there will be enough to eat some soon.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    December photos

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2554718

A couple of significant changes here. The new raspberry plants have arrived and have been planted alongside the grass path. I hope I have left enough room for them - the distance between the path and the plants is the same as for the old plants, so hopefully they will be ok. The intention is to leave the bean tripods where they are for next year as the raspberries won't be in full flow. I want to try overwintering the bean plants, as I have heard this can be done and these are Stardust, which does not appear to be available any more. The plants still look green enough and have small beans on, but I doubt these will grow big enough to be edible now that it is getting colder. The 2nd tripod had a different variety of runner bean (Firestorm), which died back faster, and some climbing french beans which died a while ago - these have both been cut down, although a little greenery and a few tiny beans remain on the Firestorm.

The other very noticeable difference is the hedge beyond the tunnel, which has been cut down to match the height of the roadside hedge. This has included cutting down several trees, which is sad. I had been warned of this back in the summer - the people in the house next to the allotment wanted the trees removed because they were shading their solar panels. I have always said I am the most unobservant person on the planet and I got proof of this when I went down to the allotment the morning after the hedge was cut. I walked straight down that grass path and past the compost bins, and only noticed something had happened when went to open the compost bin and saw it was covered in bits of hedge clippings! I then looked up and saw that the top 20ft or so of the hedge had disappeared. Not really something you could fail to notice when walking straight towards it, unless you are me.

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2554719

The courgettes have died and been removed and the bed covered in plastic to keep the cats off. The compost from this bed will be used to top up the other beds or mulch the tunnel as crops are cleared, making room for a new hotbed. The nasturtiums behind are mostly surviving the cold so far, although some leaves now have wilty bits on them and I suspect I will be taking them out soon. The net has been taken off the bed behind to make harvesting parsnips and beetroot easier. The parsnip I have pulled so far to try (new variety) was disappointingly woody. Hopefully I just got a bad one, but it is possible that with little or no water all summer they are all like that. My horse likes parsnips, so he can have them if they aren't nice.

Views:	173
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2554720

Rather an empty scene this side, the french beans having been removed from the bucket, the melon has gone from the hotbed and the potato buckets are all empty. Some of the hotbed compost has been used to mulch the raspberries. There is one rogue lettuce growing in the hotbed, but it is being shredded by slugs and I doubt it will be edible. The tiny beans on the runners are too small to see even this close up.

Name:	019.JPG
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2554721

The spinach is still producing a decent crop of leaves. The parsnip foliage is visible behind.

Name:	020.JPG
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2554722

The calabrese is looking distinctly ragged, but is producing some shoots, which I am eating when I can be bothered to pick out all the grey aphids and slugs. This has not been a success this year, which is a shame as it is the last of the Sakura, another variety that I really like that has disappeared from the seed catalogues along with runner bean Stardust, cucumber Cucino and carrot nantes frubund. Some of the remains of the beetroot crop are visible behind - this has done ok this year although a few plants did bolt in the heat.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2553714

The raspberries are looking a lot better than I expected although they are not very tall. They must have heard me say I was going to remove them! I will probably keep them 1 more year as the new ones almost certainly won't fruit next year.

Views:	190
ID:	2553715

Water! Its a very long time indeed since there was any standing water at the allotment.

Views:	194
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2553716

Courgette Defender is still trying to pretend it is summer.

Views:	192
ID:	2553717

As is runner bean Stardust.

Name:	032.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2553718

The growhouse is empty except for self seeded nasturtiums.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    More photos - inside the tunnel

Views:	194
ID:	2553708

I have finally managed to get the weed matting down along the east side of the tunnel. Romanesco, calabrese and PSB on the left, Florence fennel growing slowly on the right.

Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2553709

Strawberries have been removed from the path. Summer leeks have nearly all been harvested. The trays at the far end are to catch water, and won't be needed for much longer as all the bins except the 2 in the tunnel are now full.

Views:	192
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2553710

Kohl rabi and PSB at the shed end of the tunnel.

Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2553711

The PSB on the west side in particular is looking very sick indeed after aphid attack.

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2553712

The leeks on the other hand look very happy, although many of the summer ones at least had leek moth damage.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X