Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the advice. Need to look at addressing this next season. Perhaps I'll build a wind break outside the tunnel so that I can convert the doors back to ventilation top half. The Wind was getting up and blowing right through, more like a wind tunnel, so covered them over and moved to opening them every day. Then I had to put in holes in the bottom runner so that doors can be secured should wind get up.

I'll check the Aji Pineapple and Red Scotch Bonnets in the morning. Perhaps they are wetter than I think being against the back wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
      Thanks for the advice. Need to look at addressing this next season. Perhaps I'll build a wind break outside the tunnel so that I can convert the doors back to ventilation top half. The Wind was getting up and blowing right through, more like a wind tunnel, so covered them over and moved to opening them every day. Then I had to put in holes in the bottom runner so that doors can be secured should wind get up.

I'll check the Aji Pineapple and Red Scotch Bonnets in the morning. Perhaps they are wetter than I think being against the back wall.
      Must be the temperature. The soil feels just right.

Comment

• Can I ask how long it’s likely to take for my jalapeños to go from green to red. I’ve got a few that are a decent size and would quite like to leave them to turn but not sure if there will enough time this season

Comment

• Plenty of time yet...it's only August. Where have you got them? Outside/GHouse or on HHe windowsill?

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
            Started a thread on plants stopped growing today. Then discovered that I had 2 bush tomatoes with blight in one corner of the polytunnel. Can't see any issues with chilli and sweet peppers at the moment.

Are they likely to get infected? Got about 60 plants and if risk, would sacrifice tomatoes to reduce

advice please

Link to other thread.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ing_97572.html
            Blight? Are you sure, it's not the right weather conditions for blight and undercover it's very rare.

Comment

• A couple in the greenhouse but the rest are in a cold frame with the top permananetly open. They seemed happier there and I was struggling with space because of all my tonatoes. Wondering if I should bring them in soon through the weather has been much colder here for the last week.

Comment

• I'm much further South than you and i only grow chillies in the greenhouse or indoors, but I rarely move mine until the end of September....what are your nightime temps? If I could I would squeeze them into the greenhouse. I wouldn't move indoors unless it's really cold and below 12 at night because the extra light will help. When you do move them indoors they can often fruit until Christmas if not cut back - though usually October.

Comment

• I have nowhere inside to put them, but will try and squeeze them in the greenhouse for the next few months and see how they get on. I have plenty space on the shelving they are just a bit tall. I saw from the greenhouse thermometer that it’s been down as low as 10 at night this week.

Comment

• IT might go to 10 but they aren't seedling so will be fine. It's a shame ou can't get a few on your kitchen window ledge to overwinter, it really will give you a head start - especially as youAre up north

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Blight? Are you sure, it's not the right weather conditions for blight and undercover it's very rare.
                      You'll have seen I posted picture on other thread - told by Two sheds it is Botrytis (gray mould). To uneducated looked like blight. When I googled, see it is also knows as Botrytis Blight. It is only the bush tomatoes that have this. They were on a shaky nail as it was. think nail may have fallen out by next year. So I suppose question stands....

Is there a risk to the peppers or are they more tolerant?

See strawberries are at risk -that said the wild strawberries in the hanging basket above these tomatoes are looking and cropping well

Comment

• Are you all ready to be board again ?

Over view from above

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	2380262 Click image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	2380261

Over view different angle

Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	2380263

Thunder mountain longhorn

Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	2380264

Pink hab

Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	2380265

Comment

• Couple more

Basket of fire

Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	2380266

Very happy with little Monty ( Dorset Naga) this year. He is looking stunning.

Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	2380267 Click image for larger version

Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	2380268

Comment

• looking great sp , do you think you`ll get any fruit of monty ? also could you pop down to the cooking section at some point and give us a few tips on making chilli powder pls ? thx
                            The Dude abides.

Comment

• Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                              looking great sp , do you think you`ll get any fruit of monty ? also could you pop down to the cooking section at some point and give us a few tips on making chilli powder pls ? thx
                              Monty has got a good number of pods on him and decent size (previous years a little on the small side). One or two deep, deep undercover are starting to ripen.
                              I'll start a chilli power thread later.

Comment

• My lovely chilli which has been beautifully productive this year has been shredded by caterpillars. I've picked off (I think) all but one which I cannot find, but is clearly still active. There is much swearing and nightly rummaging in the foliage.

My plan is to harvest the fruits after our hol (early Sept) and then prune the plant right back (it's grown very spindly and about 2 foot tall), bringing it in when it gets cold. Does that sound okay?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X