No announcement yet.

Gardens without labels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I label seeds, but very little once it gets in the ground, just tomatoes in the greenhouse. My former local magpies loved pulling labels out and throwing them around, so I just wrote everything down in a little book instead.

Aside from squash, beans and tomatoes, I don't tend to grow many different varieties that aren't blindingly obvious anyway (I reckon I can tell the purple peas ), and stuff gets harvested when I think it's ready, not when the packet says.
    My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

I grow a lot of my stuff in ex MFB's and various other containers.
      If i'm growing say Leeks after early potatoes using Refreshed compost I label to identify the compost use from 'New' so I can use for further rotation etc.
      In the case of Carrots I normally label stating Variety, seed source and date sown .
      I do'nt bother with 'Obvious stuff though.
      Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

What are labels
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I don't have a big veg plot and I am not the most organised person, when at work I had to keep notes on everything and when I stopped I decided no more notes, I do keep the seed packets and if there are any crops
          I like or dislike I can refer to them
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I label any new fruit trees I plant + a few other semi-permanent things. I use old pieces of roof slate which I cut the name and year in to with a knife, then drill through it and attach with copper wire from old electric cable.
            I figure whoever takes over the garden when I die might find the info handy.

Comment

I label when sowing in modules but don't bother with the labels when planting out or sowing directly in the ground.

If I want to keep track of varieties once planted out, as in Brussels sprouts for harvesting purposes, I plant out in alphabetical order (Brontes come first in the row, then Montgomery, Nelson and lastly Trafalgar).

I don't bother with labels in the ground because the writing always disappears or the labels get lost somehow.

The labels themselves are bits of white opaque plastic that Mr Snoop cuts up for me from plastic containers. I label with variety or initials if the names are very long (GD = Gardener's Delight). Because the labels don't go out in the fields, I can re-use them from one year to the next.

I record sowing dates in a book and occasionally germination dates if I think the information might be useful for future years.

Comment

I had in the past intended to buy different coloured labels and note down what veg went with what what colour, and for different varieties of the same veg I just needed to number the label, this could then have been recorded,but I could never find different coloured labels at a reduced price

Comment

Not just labels - Part 2

Having picked your brains about labelling, can I ask you about the next step in losing control of what you grow?

Just wondering.
                  How important is it to grow named varieties of seeds - does it matter? Or could we lump them all together and not worry

For example, this year I grew 4 different types of courgettes but when they cropped, 3 of them looked identical, only the striped one was different. Since they all tasted the same, I'm going to mix up all the remaining seeds and call them "Courgettes".

Same with the climbing beans - some were bigger, flatter or a different colour - but, when cooked they all turned out green. Since I lost the labels for the ones I wanted to save, I have a hotchpotch of saved beans to grow next year. Does it matter - I actually don't think it does.

Packets of mixed salad leaves are great - you don't need to know what type of lettuce or whatever leaf, they contain.

You know what's coming next - I'm going to mix up my seeds next year and just grow courgettes or leeks etc and not worry about varieties or labels.

Looking forward to your views.

Comment

I've done that, VC, with beans and peas too - mixing leftovers up, that is. Often unintentionally, when seed packets turned upside down in my seed box, and they kinda had to go back in the packet in a jumble. Never stopped them from being productive when I sowed them though!

I do label everything, and if there are particular types that Im trying out, I will label that too. I like to learn from how things go, and I've stopped growing a few varieties that were perhaps 'cooler' than 'tasty' or 'productive' so... Zephyr courgette for example, really cool looking, and tasty enough just not productive for me, so that is no more.

I label, then make notes on when they were planted, then I try to add to my calendar when to harvest etc... I'm too good at growing stuff that sits on the plant or in the ground for too long LOL
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Having picked your brains about labelling, can I ask you about the next step in losing control of what you grow?

Just wondering.
                      How important is it to grow named varieties of seeds - does it matter? Or could we lump them all together and not worry ....
                      I don't think it's important to grow named varieties, but it is a useful way to identify which ones you like. As you say, veg like courgettes all taste and grow pretty much the same, but there is a lot of difference between varieties of tomato for example.

I've tried quite a few different kales, but now I only grow Cavolo Nero and Red Russian, because they are my two favourites for taste and growing habits, and because I can save seed from them.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

VC, what do you mean by an unnamed variety of seed? Just trying to clarify what you mean. In the meantime:

I do the same as mothhawk and use info to identify varieties, but not just to identify the ones I like but also to work out which ones I don't like or that don't do well. This is so that I don't waste time and effort on them in future years.

For example, I label my courgette plants when I start them off in modules but only so that I know which have failed, as I want two of each of my favourite varieties (Soleil and Black Beauty). I've tried lots of other varieties in the past and like these ones best for assorted reasons. If I hadn't grown what I think of as named varieties or labelled them, I wouldn't have arrived at a selection I like.

Now obviously this closes off options, as I don't bother with any others now. So in that respect you could say it was quite limiting. But on the other hand, I'm concentrating my effort and resources on something I've decided I like.
                        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 13-11-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I label because I like to know which variety i prefer and produces more so I can cut out the poorer ones.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

In principle I'm with you VC. All varieties of leeks, Brussel sprouts, beans, chard and no doubt other things all taste the same. So mixing varieties and going label free makes sense. Unfortunately I couldn't do that. It'd drive me nuts.
                            I'm with Bren on this one.

Comment

Some things all do taste the same, but they may not all produce the same harvest, or be ready when I want them, or be the height I prefer - so I prefer to label to be able to work out which particular variety works best for me.
                              Once that is decided then it doesn't matter, I agree

I've been slowly narrowing down which tomato and winter squash varieties I grow and they definitely don't all taste the same

Comment

I understand what you're all saying - that you need to know what varieties work for you and eliminate the ones that don't. I have some favourites that I will always grow but I also have lots of seeds sitting around doing nothing.
                                I pick "by eye" rather than by time, that is, I pick veg when it looks ready not because the packet says matures in July.

With leeks, say, I pick the biggest and leave the rest to grow on. It doesn't matter what variety it is - they're all much the same to eat. If I fancy a mini-leek, I pick a small one. Seed packets that tell you that mini-leeks, if left to grow on, will become big leeks are, putting a marketing spin on a normal leek, in my view.

I'll still label tomatoes and, maybe, squashes, but the rest can live anonymously in my muddled garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X