No announcement yet.

Recommended veg in unconventional colours

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and yellow courgettes. I've tried a few. Definitely do not recommend Jemmer. I got them from More Veg and usually always get on well with their seeds. But Jemmer were rubbish. Not a nice flavour and one plant produced green courgettes, while the other one produced green ones with yellow splodges.

My personal favourite of all the ones I've tried is Soleil.

Comment

I tend to grow lots of different coloured veg but more because it looks prettier in the patch, less pest damage, easier to find when picking and different uses in the kitchen. However I enjoy a range of flavours for the same veg where I know quite a few peeps seem to expect just one flavour.

All gold rasps - these are sweet and juicey but not a traditional flavoursome rasp.
      Beans - never noticed a great deal of difference in flavours
      White/golden beetroot - not very sweet but you don't have the staining issue
      Purple haze carrots - lovely and sweet but I try to avoid F1's
      Black cherry toms - small, sweet a must grow every year
      White Queen tom - large tangy beefsteak - nice old mans tom

Can't think what else at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post

There's also a Purple Haze chilli. Has anyone grown it?

Purple Haze Chilli.
        Not yet! They nearly got added to this year grow list.

Comment

Cosse Violette purple climbing French beans very nice, quite good yields.

Might have a go with yellow ones.

Tried Bright Lights chard. Yield not too good but that's probably me.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I never had much luck with cauli but I have grown Viletto sicilia cauliflower from Franchi seeds with some success - and I liked it

https://www.seedsofitaly.com/Caulifl...5_8313173.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              You could try Romanesco, they not only look amazing, they taste delicious. Nuttier and a firmer texture than white cauli.
              I've also grown Romanesco Cauliflower, Snoop, and I'm in total agreement.

Comment

Ruby Chard Vulcan is a favorite in our house, although I don't find it as productive as the white/silver chard.

Then ther's black radish.

I also grow a lot of green tomatoes.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Golden sweet mangetout are pretty - but I don't like the purple one, Shiraz,
                  Peas and Mange-Tout Peas vegetable seed from The Real Seed Catalogue
                  Bijou, the giant MT is still my favourite!

Comment

I caught a bit about coloured tatties on tv the other night, they are popular up here with a few gardeners.

Comment

I accept that it's technically a fruit and not a vegetable as requested but lets not get technical. The only unconventional coloured thing I've managed to grow is some black cherry tomatoes. I grew some "Indigo Cherry".
                      I really liked them and they certainly added another dimension of colour to a tomato salad.
                      "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                      - Henry Beard

Comment

Originally posted by Peteyd View Post
                        I accept that it's technically a fruit and not a vegetable as requested but lets not get technical. The only unconventional coloured thing I've managed to grow is some black cherry tomatoes. I grew some "Indigo Cherry".
                        I really liked them and they certainly added another dimension of colour to a tomato salad.
                        I crossed indigo rose with a hybrid of Russian black/olympe and will see how they come out, black beefsteak toms, we will see...

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          I'd forgotten about them, Penellype. They are delicious, I agree. I've seen recommendations for Neckargold as a yellow climbing round-podded bean. Never tried them myself, though.
                          Neckargold not good here, small curly pods, very late in the year and not much flavour. Didn't grow them again.
                          As already said Cosse Violette are good in the pod, but turn green on cooking and as shelled, cream/tan coloured beans.
                          Romanesco Natalino (green) and the purple one are both good.
                          Blauwschokker purple podded peas, very pretty in flower and they make good 'mushy' peas.
                          Kent Blue is a good mangetout and Jaune Flamme, bright orange tomatoes that taste quite lemony.

Comment

Thanks Thelma - I was considering Neckargold, but may just stick to Sonesta.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Meraviglia di Venezia aka Marvel of Venice is supposed to be a good climbing yellow bean. But I think it has flat pods so might not be what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
                                Meraviglia di Venezia aka Marvel of Venice is supposed to be a good climbing yellow bean. But I think it has flat pods
                                Yes it does

I'd forgotten that one! We grew it in the school garden a few years ago, IIRC it did well
                                Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 21-11-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X