Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chilli Growers - what's on your growing list for 2018?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dalrimple View Post
    i'm new to growing chilli ,this year iv'e grown jalipenos with a fair amount of sucess so can I ask where do you get all these different types of seeds and plants from ? as I would like to try some of these wonderfull sounding chillies ! atb Dal
    VSP - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...sts_92164.html
    Seed circle - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...7-a_92082.html
    Real Seeds - Chilli Pepper Vegetable Seeds to buy in the UK from The Real Seed Catalogue
    Nickys Nursery - https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/ind...chilli-c-6_101

Semillas (not UK) - https://www.semillas.de/shop_en/
    Bakers Creek (not UK) - https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/peppers/hot/

Comment

And
      Sea Spring Seeds - Buy your vegetable seeds here

Comment

Thank's for the replies Norfic & S.P. plenty there to go at ,and who knows I may be able to save some seeds for next season and join in the C&P seed circle . atb Dal

Comment

As I'm up at this ridiculous hour I may be having a look round all those links ( again ) myself

Comment

What you doing up at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Dalrimple View Post
              Thank's for the replies Norfic & S.P. plenty there to go at ,and who knows I may be able to save some seeds for next season and join in the C&P seed circle . atb Dal
              what a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                What you doing up at that time?
                Waiting for an ambulance to take Bob away! He's seriously milking this Illness thing now (luckily it's turned out not to be anything serious).
                I am going to treat myself to some more chilli seed, and I deserve a bl@@dy medal

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  Nice list Mitzi
                  Have you grown thunder mountain longhorn before? I really fancy trying them. I've not found any uk seed suppliers unfortunately. I do like to keep my seed purchases from the uk.
                  Where did you get your seeds if you don't mind me asking?
                  Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                  I haven't actually got them yet! But it's a swap that I'm doing. I might only get a couple of seeds but if there are plenty I could let you have some.
                  If you particularly want some Thunder Mountain Longhorn and are cautious about getting from USA, I can vouch for Justin at White Hot Peppers. Some of my favourite varieties I've got from him. Have a look at some of the amazing varieties and pictures on his website

Thunder Mountain Longhorn

Comment

Good link, Chris

I've just discovered Fatalii White Excellent!!

What else I wonder.. hmmm (early Christmas present time I reckon)

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      Found it!
                      The list so far....... Because obviously this isn't it! It's far to short
                      lemon drop
                      cayenne
                      cayennetta
                      hot jalapeño
                      jalapeño
                      fish
                      ring of fire
                      joe's long
                      Thai dragon
                      holy mole
                      Hungarian black
                      Hungarian hot wax
                      scotch bonnet
                      spike
                      Dorset naga
                      numex twilight
                      chiang rai (big Thai )
                      basket of fire
                      cherry bomb
                      habanero chocolate
                      I've added to my list!
                      Bulgaria carrot
                      Padron
                      Peter pepper orange

Comment

Oh goodie..
                        Another chilli thread for me to catch up with

Bulgarian Carrott was a new one for me this year and I liked it..Always grow Patron..
                        Still to decide on mine but the old reliable ones like Chilaca, Jalapeno, Ohnivec will be there and a new one this year in Bangalore Whippets Tale..

Will post when I am more certain and have time to get organised
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Useful thread! This was my first year growing chillies. I grew Cheyenne F1 and Cherry Bomb this year. The Cheyenne was the most successful. I’m keeping my favourite specimen to overwinter. I grew them all in pots and never really potted the Cherry Bombs on past 15cm pots but still managed to get some chillies from them.

I’ve got my raised beds now and have reserved two squares for chillies (using the square foot gardening method) and might grow some in pots again.

The recommended spacing for chillies in a square foot is one per square but I’m wondering if I grew something with an upright habit with minimal spread and staked it I could fit 4 to a square. It’s worth an experiment - could anyone recommend a variety that might work with such tight spacing? I’m thinking 4 in one square as an experiment and maybe just one in the other.

I could try the Cherry Bombs again - they fit the profile - but it’s a bit boring to grow the same ones again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                            The recommended spacing for chillies in a square foot is one per square but I’m wondering if I grew something with an upright habit with minimal spread and staked it I could fit 4 to a square. It’s worth an experiment - could anyone recommend a variety that might work with such tight spacing? I’m thinking 4 in one square as an experiment and maybe just one in the other.

I could try the Cherry Bombs again - they fit the profile - but it’s a bit boring to grow the same ones again.
                            Firstly there's nothing wrong with growing Cherry Bomb again in you liked it

Personally I would stick with the recommended 1 plant per square foot. Chillies can grow really big if they are allowed to (given enough space).
                            Photographic evidence, The row of chillies on the right is only 5 plants ( all grown from seed this year).
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	2375570.
                            Also it really depends on your location if chillies will grow well in a raised (square foot ) bed. That's assuming you're bed is outside? Again personal I would never grow chilli outside wherever I lived but especially not here
                            The only recommendation for chillies is all of them which isn't helpful at all

Comment

I had no problems growing outside (I’m in Essex) and that was in small pots so I’m confident they will thrive in the raised beds. I nearly lost some of my young plants as I didn’t harden them off properly and they were scorched but they recovered after about a month. My veg garden is south west facing so they get plenty of sun in the Summer.

I found the cherry bombs cropped poorly compared to the Cheyenne though that might have been due to neglect and not potting on past 15cm pots. The Cheyenne were happy enough in smaller pots.

You might be right about sticking to the 1 per square spacing, in which case does anyone have any recommendations for a good sized plant that will fill the space nicely without getting too large? I got my previous seeds from SowSeeds and they seem to have a good selection but they aren’t very detailed about spread.
                              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

You might be right about sticking to the 1 per square spacing, in which case does anyone have any recommendations for a good sized plant that will fill the space nicely without getting too large?
                                If spread is an issue, go up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid 2015 B.jpg
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2375578 Click image for larger version

Name:	P Orange mid 2015 B.jpg
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	2375579

This example is a Peruvian Orange. This one is in it's 3rd season, but it's the growing concept that's the relevant bit; essentially a big plant with a small footprint. This is achieved through containing the plant's leading stems within a conical support frame to encourage it to grow upwards, in this case pre-formed wire frame initially, and then as the plant grows using canes and wire rings to increase the height. The offshoots need regularly tying in, and regular pruning helps keep the shape.
                                You can top it to keep the height down when it's as big as you want it (or just let it cascade )

To be honest though I doubt getting too tall would be an issue for a first year plant, especially if it's growing outside, even in arid Essex.
                                Wind would be the chief concern; if your plot is sheltered it would be of huge benefit.

As for specific plants, pay attention to the projected mature size when you buy your seeds. If one site is a bit vague, try looking the variety up elsewhere (there's no shortage of seed sellers these days ) Or look for a variant of the variety you're interested in e.g. a golden cayenne vs a red cayenne; I doubt there'd be much difference in how the plants themselves perform.
                                Anything which is rated as 1m+ such as a lot of the plants with "Aji" as a prefix, are a safe bet for achieving good height in year 1. Aji's have the added bonus of a greater tolerance of cooler temperatures, have naturally smaller, narrower leaves, shoot prolifically, and will grow reasonably quickly given the right conditions. Yield is usually pretty good too.
                                An Aji Lemon Drop plant would be a great starter Padron also did well outside when I grew it here in Brighton.

The superhots meanwhile are a lot more contained in terms of growth - you'd be doing really well to get something like a Moruga achieve o.5m in height, even then there'd be no guarantees it'd fruit all that successfully growing outside.
                                Last edited by Philthy; 04-11-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X