Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chilli Growers - what's on your growing list for 2018?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
    I do love chilli jam.... although the one time I made it, I overcooked it and it turned into chilli toffee. The kind you have to break with a hammer!
    Same here! Well, not quite that bad, but it did need warming up before it was "loose" enough to be spooned out of the jar. Slightly chewy. My favourite use was to put it on chicken breasts then oven cook. Yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
      So there are some favourites which I always sow a few seeds of to ensure guaranteed continuous supply (so whether established plants overwinter or not):
      - Fatalii
      - Lemon Drop
      - Espelette
      - Paper Lantern
      Tried and tested, with favourable attributes. Next year I'm thinking I'll grow again:
      - Habanero Chocolate
      - Habanero Monster (if I can track down seeds; Simpsons packet last time but not found since)
      - Santaka
      - Chi-Chien

New ones I'm keen to try (about fifteen at the moment), but a selection for 2018 might be:
      - Aji Panca
      - Aleppo
      - Datil
      - Pasilla Bajio
      - 7 Pod Yellow
      - Sugar Rush
      Nice list. Which Sugar Rush? I grew Sugar Rush peach this year and love it but I don't know where to get seeds for the other colours. I also grew Aleppo and really like that too. Would like to grow both again next year.

Comment

One of the great things about this forum is that how ever bad you think your veg/chili addiction is, there'll be someone on here making you look like a complete lightweight.

The modest list so far:

Aji lemon drop

A chilli similar to a proper kebab one (ideas welcome)

Espelettes

Trinidad perfume for the hab flavour without blowing my sock off. And some form of hot hab

Ring of fire

Comment

Which Sugar Rush? I grew Sugar Rush peach this year and love it but I don't know where to get seeds for the other colours
          I was going to try Peach as well. That one went on my list a couple of years ago. Just had a quick look for the variants and have seen the Sugar Rush Cream; wow.. the pods look gorgeous! Almost remind me of buttermint candies.

Found this link Mojo Pepper chili pepper seeds - Sugar Rush Cream (10 seeds)
          but have no idea if it is reliable or not.

And this one Sugar Rush Red Pepper Seeds US based but looks like they'll ship to the UK. They offer Cream variant as well.

I can't find any UK seed stockists offering anything besides the Peach one either.

Comment

A chilli similar to a proper kebab one (ideas welcome)
            I don't know that there is a specific one to expect with a doner
            I asked similar question myself awhile back..

From memory I think we came up with Lombardo, which certainly looks the part and it's rated for pickling.

There's Guindilla, bit confusing as the name is just Spanish for hot pepper (I think, don't quote me) so really could apply to a whole range. But the pickled chillies are sold in jars in the UK under that name.

These also look promising: Chilli - Friggitello (Pepperoncini)
            "This popular chilli from southern Italy is a favourite picked green for pickling where it is often served on sandwiches in salads and antipasto, but is also great for frying.
            These tasty mildly spicy fruits are long and wrinkled, thin skinned and sweeten as they ripen to a rich red colour.
            Outside Italy Friggitello are more well known as a Pepperoncini and can be found pickled in jars."

Some folks would suggest pickled green Jalapeno as an option too.

Can't help you with seed sourcing of those first three, as yet to grow them myself

Comment

Brilliant Philty, thank you for that. My list of chilies to grow has suddenly expanded exponentially...I know the doner chili may not be the classiest capsicum out there but I do have a soft spot for them, glad to know I am not alone.

Comment

Surely it should be one of the Turkish varieties to be a proper kebab chilli?

Comment

(The chilli toffee: I microwave it for 20 seconds then spoon it out to use in cooking. )

Comment

I'll probably start sometime in December or January, depending on when there are no cold spells forecast. My earliest sowings are usually the oldest seeds, the ones that might take longer or not even germinate. That way it's a bonus if they do, and I've still got time for others if they don't.

I'll be aiming for around 30 varieties of chillies/sweet peppers in total, and will keep sowing until I've got around that number. I probably won't have room for all of them, and will find new homes for them locally.
                    Overwintering with some luck will also contribute to the mix

Final growlist will probably include:

Amy Sweet Hungarian Wax
                    Aji Pineapple
                    Akabare
                    Barancio F2
                    Big Sun Habanero
                    Bulgarian Carrot
                    Cayenne Large Red Thick
                    Cherry Bomb
                    Cheyenne F1
                    Hungarian Black
                    Elysium Oxide F7
                    Golden Cayenne
                    Jalapeno
                    Joe's Long Cayenne
                    Lemon Drop
                    MoA Scotch Bonnet Yellow
                    Numex Sandia
                    Orange Habanero
                    Palermo Pointed Red
                    Pot Black
                    Ring Of Fire
                    Santa Fe Grande
                    Thai Orange Large
                    Turbo Alberto (C. pubescens cross)

Comment

My list is completely out of control. There are lots of things I want to grow but haven't even put on it yet, and it's already far too big.

Annuum:
                      Aleppo*
                      Fish
                      Goat Horn (curly pheno)
                      Golden Cayenne
                      Hong Gochu
                      Orange Thai Large
                      Peter Pepper*
                      Piment d'Espelette
                      Rezha
                      Thunder Mountain Longhorn
                      Trifetti

Baccatum:
                      Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
                      Aji Melocoton*
                      Aji Omnicolor*
                      Aji Pineapple*
                      Aji White Fantasy
                      CAP 334 (Champion)
                      Sugar Rush*
                      Uber Aji Mango

Chinense:
                      Bahamian Goat*
                      Brazilian Ghost
                      Burkina Yellow*
                      Cappuccino SB
                      Carolina Reaper*
                      Choc Hab*
                      Elysium Oxide*
                      Nagabrain Chocolate
                      Purple Peach*
                      SB MoA*

* I'm trying to overwinter these. If they don't survive I might grow some from seed in 2018 (e.g. Aleppo, Sugar Rush, Bahamian Goat, Purple Peach) but won't bother with others (e.g. Peter pepper, Carolina Reaper.)

Then I think I should grow at least one rocoto as people seem to like them and I've never tried one.

I'll start the chinenses in December (probably between Christmas and New Year) then the baccatums and rocoto (if growing) in January and annuums in February.

Comment

Nice list Mitzi
                        Have you grown thunder mountain longhorn before? I really fancy trying them. I've not found any uk seed suppliers unfortunately. I do like to keep my seed purchases from the uk.
                        Where did you get your seeds if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                          Nice list Mitzi
                          Have you grown thunder mountain longhorn before? I really fancy trying them. I've not found any uk seed suppliers unfortunately. I do like to keep my seed purchases from the uk.
                          Where did you get your seeds if you don't mind me asking?
                          I haven't actually got them yet! But it's a swap that I'm doing. I might only get a couple of seeds but if there are plenty I could let you have some.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                            I haven't actually got them yet! But it's a swap that I'm doing. I might only get a couple of seeds but if there are plenty I could let you have some.
                            That would be brilliant thanks Mitzi. Obviously only if you have enough and only if there's something in my list you would like a few of

Comment

Overwintering (but I have never managed before) I have

Marlene Rocoto (which is a beast of a plant)
                              Aji Pineaple
                              Aji Amarillo
                              Bubba
                              Lemon Drop
                              Devils Tongue
                              Monkey Face
                              CGN21500
                              7 POT White
                              Mesilla

Sowing will start 14th Feb but I have a very short list for 2018

Ohnivec
                              Lemon Drop
                              Jalapeno Traveller
                              SP - Fatima
                              SP - Love Apple
                              SP - Lunchbox Orange

Comment

i'm new to growing chilli ,this year iv'e grown jalipenos with a fair amount of sucess so can I ask where do you get all these different types of seeds and plants from ? as I would like to try some of these wonderfull sounding chillies ! atb Dal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X