No announcement yet.

Turning a pile of Woodchip into a Hotbed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seeds germinated but it was the wrong time of year to expect much growth - and I was right not to!
    The woodchip cooled down and has shrunk to about a third its original height. The buckets are still in place and I've picked some radish and carrots from them. I'm growing parsnips in them at present

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      The seeds germinated but it was the wrong time of year to expect much growth - and I was right not to!
      The woodchip cooled down and has shrunk to about a third its original height. The buckets are still in place and I've picked some radish and carrots from them. I'm growing parsnips in them at present
      Has the wood chip now broken down into a usable compost?
      Just out of interest, how long did it stay warm for?
      sigpic

Comment

That was a year ago - I have no idea how long it stayed warm.
        It still looks like woodchips on the surface and I'm not going to dig into it as its surrounding the buckets.
        Once you get to know me better you'll realise that I don't do things "properly" .

Comment

Inspired by VC's woodchip hotbed, I've spent a few days copying the idea, Its fairly large at approx 5 ton. I'ts taken me a while to barrow it all in and it's near enough done.
          The majority of the content is ramial wood without leaf and I'ts a mixture of softwood and hardwood, so I reckon the C-N ratio is about 300-1.
          I can obtain small amounts of fresh manure in the back of the car as I've no trailer and I've not enough chicken manure to accommodate enough nitrogen.
          So, I've decided to go inorganic and use a substitute to feed bacteria and fungi.
          the potential choices are a commercial fertiliser from the agricultural centre, typically ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulphate and Urea.
          Anybody tried this?
          Any thoughts would be gratefully welcome?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 21-01-2019, 07:02 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

This may be the first time I've inspired someone copy one of my nutty ideas. I'm impressed.
            Hope it works for you. Because I'm a simple soul and know nothing about chemicals, could you just pee on the woodchip?

Comment

Are you going to grow stuff on top of the heap, or in it?

Comment

Not sure I can produce enough pee to keep it going, I am using it though. Not too sure I can convince anyone else in my house to pee in a bucket
                sigpic

Comment

Are you going to grow stuff on top of the heap, or in it?
                  It depends how hot it gets or maintain at.
                  On one of the pictures, you can see some blue tubs that I'm going to use. When the pile is hot, the tubs will rest on top of the chips and as it cools, I'll put them a little deeper
                  sigpic

Comment

This may be the first time I've inspired someone copy one of my nutty ideas. I'm impressed.
                    Hope it works for you. Because I'm a simple soul and know nothing about chemicals, could you just pee on the woodchip?
                    I remember a thread from years ago devoted to the merits of pee-ing on stuff. It has to be male pee apparently.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I remember a thread from years ago devoted to the merits of pee-ing on stuff. It has to be male pee apparently.
                      I wonder why that's the case?
                      They both must surely contain nitrogen?
                      sigpic

Comment

For one thing, its easier for you boys!

Comment

My pee feels discriminated against! LOL
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Allegedly "Male urine is better than female urine because it is slightly less acidic."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...nal-Trust.html
                            Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 21-01-2019, 09:23 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Male urine is also better for deterring foxes from your garden - the first pee of the day being the strongest smelling and therefore the best to use as a deterrent.
                              So first thing in the morning, don't rush into the loo, rush down the garden instead.

Comment

Male urine is also better for deterring foxes from your garden - the first pee of the day being the strongest smelling and therefore the best to use as a deterrent.
                                So first thing in the morning, don't rush into the loo, rush down the garden instead.
                                I think my first pee of the day would deter more than foxes
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X