Poatoes too waxy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poatoes too waxy

I have grown some potatoes, I think the variety was Maxine, they have done well and I have eaten them boiled with a salad and they were lovely, however I saved some of the bigger ones and roasted them but the flesh was too waxy. Will they get more floury as they get a bit bigger (they went in a little bit late and most are still new potato size) or are they just the wrong variety for roasting?

Hello PCGreenthumb, different potato varieties have different purposes. Waxy potatoes are great for salads (who wants them floury in the salad.) Floury potatoes are great for roasting. Your waxy potatoes will not go floury as they get older. It's all in the variety. Horses for courses - as they say.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Waxy spuds are great for tartiflette. Slice the spuds thinly and layer them in a shallow dish with thinly sliced onions, bits of cooked bacon and grated cheese. When the dish is full pour over single cream till its about half way up the spuds or a bit higher, put a final layer of cheese on top and cook at about 175C for 35-45 mins (you might need to cover it with foil towards the end to stop the top burning). Mmmm I have mainly been eating this for the last 2 weeks cuz my spuds were blightly so I cant store them.

Comment

That sounds fantastic Wormlady, I have had it when skiing in France and haven't thought of making it at home. Will be having that for tea tomorrow. Yum, Yum
        May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

Thank you all, especially you wormlady, that does sound nice!!!

Comment

I still have Maxine and the best way I have found to eat them is mashed...absolutely devine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X