No announcement yet.

really thick question about spudS!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They can stand on any surface, but if you want ease, I would put them on a patio and then you can sift the soil for any small potatoes and sweep up the spent soil and recycle it around the garden.
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Brilliant...I can't wait!!! Thanks AndrewO

Comment

well, 19 out of 20 earlies are well up, and about half the mains... question about earthing up? is it really necessary, and if so when do you start? is the idea to keep the leaves above the ground, so you just earth up the stalk?
        we are in potato country here, and the OH pointed out that he bets commercial growers dont earth up - and when you think about it, potato fields are full of great tall leafy potato plants...

Comment

Originally posted by fruit&vegvirgin
          the OH pointed out that he bets commercial growers dont earth up - and when you think about it, potato fields are full of great tall leafy potato plants...
          Correction, they do earth up, when they plant.

Lived in the middle of a protato farm for ten years.
          Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
          Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
          I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

You'll need to earth them up FVV or you'll get hardly any spuds, they develop from the 'stalks' of the plants. I usually earth up when the stems are about 4-6ins above the compost & cover them so that just the very tips of the leaves show through & repeat this a few times during the growing season. I grow mine in tubs though so if yours are in open ground you may not be able to earth them up so high but still need to draw the soil up around the leaves as high as you can either side of the row.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

thanks Sue - do you mean the bottom leaves are 4-6 ins above the compost, or the tops? cover up to the tips of all the leaves? mine are in a raised bed, so I can see I will have to add some stuff.

Comment

Earth up when the top leaves are 4 - 6 inches above the soil or compost, leaving just the tips of theuppermost leaves showing.
                I'm in seed tattie country up here and can assure everyone that tattie growers do earth up at planting time - up here the commercial boys call it ridging - in fact we have a ridger sitting on a John Deere in our yard - in the middle of ridging up 600 acres of spuds - not a lot of fun at a max speed of 4 mph
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

As Rat says FVV you'll have to build up ridges either side of your potatoes as they're in raised beds unless your beds have high sides & you can just keep adding more compost to the entire bed.

Comment

Here are my first spuds, they've just reached the top of the bucket so I've filled them up and put some weedfree material over to help keep out the light. I planted two in this bucket that I got from Morrison's when they were selling off the black flower buckets 10 for 99p. They should be ready in June so I'm really excited as it doesn't seem far away now it's May.

Comment

Thanks for that info Sprouter, I didn't know that you had to do that as this is my first year with spuds, well actually this is my first year at any of it.

Comment

thanks rat, I think I'll have to do them a bit at at time, there's a few that are about ready.

Comment

Tonight I moved my 12 buckets of spuds (four each of Arran Pilot, Foremost and Charlotte outside. Both Arran Pilot and Foremost are near the top of the buckets and have been composted to the top of the bucket. Charlotte is only half way up the bucket, which is about right by my reckoning.
                          Rat

British by birth
                          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Claire & welcome to the Vine. Don't feel afraid to ask any questions, it may sound daft to you but it will get a sensible answer all the same.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Strepsy, What a good idea. I would not have thought of using groundcover material in conjunction with buckets. I will be copying you later on in the year.
                              Jax

Comment

My second early 'Harlequin' potatoes are just showing their noses above the compost.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X