No announcement yet.

I Never Liked....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are a lot of veg I have not tried to grow but I have never found a veg that I wont eat
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
      there are a lot of veg I have not tried to grow but I have never found a veg that I wont eat
      I have - Okra. It's slimy and revolting!
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

When I was a fluffy little chick, my parents would eat marrows - big, watery tasteless things that had to be stuffed to give them some flavour. Courgettes didn't exist
        To this day, my Mother can't understand why I pick immature "marrows" - why don't I let them grow a bit bigger!
        She still thinks that the only way to eat rice is in rice pudding and that there is only one pasta shape and you use it in macaroni cheese.
        A salad is lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes with a sprinkling of sugar - Yuk!! Beetroot is pickled in malt vinegar "You eat it raw?" and peas are in tins.
        However, because we didn't have a fridge or a freezer, everything was fresh and seasonal, where possible grown on my grandfather's allotment. Fruit and veg wasn't flown in from all over the world so the first tomatoes and strawberries of summer were a real treat. I still refuse to buy them out of season.
        So, its not that I didn't like some of the more interesting F&V as a child, just that they didn't exist in my little world. Now, I'm discovering new tastes and enjoying the challenge of growing these things

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
          My kids love my sprouts apparently they don't make them fart!
          The program the Young Ones had an interesting recipe for sprout curry.
          See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM8lFtzrWfU

There are many things I don't like but the only one thing I won't eat is raw celery, Giant Hog Weed.
          Cooked in soups it's OK.
          Jimmy
          Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

As someone who loves growing tomatoes, and making homemade tomato sauce and chutneys, there is no way in a million years you would get me eating a raw tomato. The texture makes me think of biting a baby's arm - makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Until I had an allotment Id never eaten broadbeans, now I love them!

Comment

I love fruit and veg, but there are a few I flat out won't buy or grow:
              - runner beans - they're furry and they're going nowhere near my kitchen! I have grown them for my chickens in the past
              - marrows... no way. Yuck.
              - broad beans... I really don't like their flavour, nor texture.

But since growing veg in the last ten years, I've come to LOVE these, that I didn't feel so much love for before:
              - courgettes
              - homegrown carrots
              - elderflowers - the interest in growing brought me on to elderflowers... yummy!
              - raspberries, unfortunately slaughtered by my puppy this year, so god knows if I will have any at all next year lol
              - chard, I had never tried it until I got my allotment and now I love it

And I have reignited my love for rhubarb - my nanna used to grab me a stick and give me a bowl of sugar. Taste of childhood
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I believe a lot of our veg dislikes stem from a traumatic childhood experiences. Mine was being forced to eat stewe ( known as lobby in Stoke on Trent ) every Thursday night by my aunt. Then I grew up and realised you don't have to cook veg to within an inch of its existence! The thought of over cooked veg repulses me. I still can't eat boiled potatoes!
                Another example is the family ( currently visiting!! ) don't like courgettes because they are soggy and slimy. A classic case of over cooking and never trying again.
                ( until they come for their roast on Sunday that is, then they will )

I hate cauliflower another childhood experience, cauliflower cheese being cooked I remember the smell made me feel quite ill.
                Broad beans and sweet corn also still hated but don't remember the source of there down fall. Maybe I just don't like them

Comment

I think you're right SP... I didnt eat meat for years after my mother (bless her for trying) turned every piece of meat I ate as a child into leather. I love it now though.

Same goes for OH with vegetables... I'm slowly encouraging him back in to trying things. Although he still won't even look at a mushroom - goodness knows what happened there!

Bex - I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes either. I can just about cope with cherry tomatoes, but only if theyve been cut in half

Comment

This year i inadvertently grew courgettes. (OH's great niece decided to plant 6seeds in one pot) i couldn't bring my self to throw away perfectly good plants so put them in when the onions came up. I flooded the work market so had to do some googling and found at least 2 recipes that we both liked it. So now I like courgettes sort of
                    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                      I love fruit and veg, but there are a few I flat out won't buy or grow:
                      - runner beans - they're furry and they're going nowhere near my kitchen! I have grown them for my chickens in the past
                      If you have the space and like french beans, give runner bean Stardust a go. I'm very fussy about textures and find runner beans unpleasantly "furry", but Stardust are a cross between runners and frenchies, with (in my opinion) the best qualities of both including being stringless and not at all furry.
                      Last edited by Penellype; 08-09-2017, 08:13 AM.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                        If you have the space and like french beans, give runner bean Stardust a go. I'm very fussy about textures and find runner beans unpleasantly "furry", but Stardust are a cross between runners and frenchies, with (in my opinion) the best qualities of both including being stringless and not at all furry.
                        I'll give that a go, thank you! Making notes
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've never liked bitter tasting food but this year we've had another go and grown Radicchio Palla Rossa. It's still something of a surprise to the pallet each time but I'm enjoying it and will definitely grow again next year.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Personally, celery for me - grew it for the first time year for some reason, and although I still can't take to it raw, for soups it's a must.
                            The joys of beetroot not being in a jar pickled with vinegar are a delight.

My 9 year old lad hates peas - but munches them straight from the pod as if their a bag of smarties. It got to the point this year when anytime he was out in the garden I had to limit his intake.
                            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Hated tomatoes until I grew my own, still warm from the greenhouse you can't beat it.

Squash never tried until I grew my own and now I grow and eat loads

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                                I have - Okra. It's slimy and revolting!
                                That's because you've not prepped it properly. If you soak it in vinegar for half hour it doesn't go slimy.

Have a look at How to Cook Okra So It

For those who find marrows mushy try chayote. They can be grown here.

Can't stand bitter melon (karela).
                                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X