seed beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seed beds

Hi all, my thoughts are turning to next year (mainly cos it's pouring down outside and i can't get out) and i would like to know how necessary it is to have a seed bed. I think I understand that you can start off slow growers like cabbages in them but how many people use them and if so, do you think they're invaluable or not? I just want to work out whether to make one or not.
    Raine
    P.S any advice appreciated!

Seed beds? not for me!

I know that this is only my first year, but I don't have a seed bed as such, and haven't found a need for one, despite what the books say.

I've started all my seeds off that would normally go in a seed bed in jiffies or small pots, then when they were big enough potted them on into 3" square black pots (from Wilko, since you ask).

The square pots can be kept on a big tray here at home so I can keep an eye on them and water them properly (also, don't have as much of a pigeon problem here as at the Hill) and then I can take the pots down to the Hill to plant out at the right time (or when I have room)

Actually that sounds incredibly organised, but it doesn;t always work - I've PSB that have 'been and gone' whilst sitting in their 3" pots, but it seems to work for most things.

I'd say that another advantage is that you only sow enough seed for as many plants as you want rather than a whole ROW of, like, 40 brussels sprouts plants, for example.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 15-08-2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I don't use a seed bed either. It depends on how much space you have as to whether it's worth giving over the room. I grow most things in modules or seed trays and transplant from there. Good success rates - vastly better than direct sowing for most things.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi raine, this is only my first year so I'm not best placed to join in this conversation, but I've managed perfectly well this year without a seed bed. I either direct sowed or used seed trays to start things off, mainly because I don't have the space to dedicate to a seed bed and thought my 'babies' would do better with the more tlc I could give them in trays!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi
          Same for me, first year with a lottie .... I have sown things in modules & trays. I think they'd have been eaten by slugs before they had a chance, if they'd been in a seed bed. Also agree it means you don't end up sowing loads more than you need

Comment

Just to be different.......I used a seedbed last year with good results. This year I've sown brassicas in 8" pots using potting compost. Even though the weather has been very wet I still had to regularily water seedlings which was a pain. Last year because seedlings were in a seedbed they were left to there own devices and produced hardier plants for transplanting.

Next year I'm going to revert back to a seedbed for my brassicas at least!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

thanks all, i'm still a bit undecided but since the books say'rake to a fine tilth' and my soil isa more like whopping great clods i think i might just give it a miss!

Comment

As a newbie I found it more satisfying to start things of in modules on my windowsill, that way they got attention every day and not eaten bu slugs/snails, this year everything I've started in the ground has just been slug food but those I stared indoors have done good.

My soil is also very dense but does drain OK but isn't great for seedlings. as soon as they're a few centimeters or jumping out of their seed trays I put them out and most have survived (apart from my courgettes but my slugs/snails seem to have a real taste for a Mediterranean diet. I guess they're sick of peas/lettuce)
                Newbie gardener in Cumbria.
                Just started my own website on gardening:

http://angie.weblobe.net/Gardening/

Comment

Seed beds are a good idea if you need a lot of plants, and can protect them from the inevitable slugs, snails etc. I don't need many plants of one sort, and find I get the best results from sowing in pots, cells etc at home, and taking them to the lottie when they are ready for transplanting.

Comment

i always use pots of moduales , and i'll be just using pots next year as there is less root disturbance.
                    i only grow small quantities of each thing so 30 pots of cabbage seedlings is an ideal size to accomodate ( i only put 24 to a bed but have six spare )
                    ---) CARL (----
                    ILFRACOMBE
                    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I've never had a seed bed Raine. I start things in pots, trays or modules. By the sound of your soil it could be a good ploy for you too.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X