No announcement yet.

Potato seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those little net bags are great, I always forget to do them and end up losing lots! Around six weeks on the plant is usually given as the minimum time needed for tps berries to mature sufficiently before being picked. I don't often get that amount of time as Late Blight is an early visitor here. I found that if needed, cutting the fruiting stem and popping it in a jug of water in the house to give it some extra time allows the berry and seeds to develop some more.

Once picked it is best to leave the berry ripen some more and it will go from being quite firm to the touch to being much softer. The colour will change too as it becomes ripe, also they start to smell, it's a curious scent, slightly sweet and a bit 'fermenty'.

It's easier to harvest seeds before the berries get too soft or dry out completely, though the seeds will still be viable even from hard seed balls. Time taken to ripen will vary between berries and conditions, room temperature works quite well though. Mostly seed won't germinate straight away, but should be ok for sowing in the spring. Exciting!

You should get a mix of plants giving purples in varying intensity, some will be like the known parent, but depending on where the pollen came from, you might get some surprises! Also your unknown purple might have some reds in the background.
    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      TPS are true potato seeds. Resemble small tomatoes but are lethal to eat.They need to be striated methinks, ie given a cold spell. They would need to be sown early in the year from January on with heat.

Grew one this year but i haven't tipped the bucket out yet to see if any tubers had formed.
      Snadger did they work ? I've got quite few!

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
        Those little net bags are great, I always forget to do them and end up losing lots! Around six weeks on the plant is usually given as the minimum time needed for tps berries to mature sufficiently before being picked. I don't often get that amount of time as Late Blight is an early visitor here. I found that if needed, cutting the fruiting stem and popping it in a jug of water in the house to give it some extra time allows the berry and seeds to develop some more.

Once picked it is best to leave the berry ripen some more and it will go from being quite firm to the touch to being much softer. The colour will change too as it becomes ripe, also they start to smell, it's a curious scent, slightly sweet and a bit 'fermenty'.

It's easier to harvest seeds before the berries get too soft or dry out completely, though the seeds will still be viable even from hard seed balls. Time taken to ripen will vary between berries and conditions, room temperature works quite well though. Mostly seed won't germinate straight away, but should be ok for sowing in the spring. Exciting!

You should get a mix of plants giving purples in varying intensity, some will be like the known parent, but depending on where the pollen came from, you might get some surprises! Also your unknown purple might have some reds in the background.
        poly are you still around? did they work?
        What you say about ripening the seed makes perfect sense and then yes, just like a tomato soaking to remove the outer coating on the seed. I'm going to give it a go anyway.
        They are not quite ripe enough yet to start soaking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X