Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Mine's a Clear the Gaps project!
    They're overgrown with nettles, brambles and other stuff and painful to push your way through. I started clearing the day I started this thread as I wanted moral support! I start things but rarely complete them, especially when I end up stung and scratched.

This is how it looks today - still a long way to go.

First Gap
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75766[/ATTACH]

Leading to Second gap
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75767[/ATTACH]

which is flanked by an unusable bench
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75768[/ATTACH]

and backed by a bank of nettles!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75769[/ATTACH]

Watch this space. By the end of August it will look better.
    I think it looks fine the way it is!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Seeing as there's not much of August left, may I make a slight variation on the theme, just this once?
      I have in mind 2 barely started projects, aiming to complete both by the end of September

First is to fill all the glass preserving jars we received as a wedding gift with home made and at least partially home grown produce (our onions got white rot, and chutneys without onions are just not the same.....)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	2374544
      Second is to get spring cabbages in the ground. I have sketched the plan for the brassica cages and purchased the netting, but not yet sown the seeds, dug the ground or acquired the timber!

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	2374545

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
        Second is to get spring cabbages in the ground. I have sketched the plan for the brassica cages and purchased the netting, but not yet sown the seeds, dug the ground or acquired the timber!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]75809[/ATTACH]
        Sow the seeds in pots indoors to get them started rather than waiting until your brassica cage is ready.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Good thinking Penellype
          I have now sown a modular tray full of cabbage seeds, which are now busy germinating in the kitchen!

One thing that I have learned this year is always to sow twice as many as I think I will need, so that I can still get a decent harvest even if a few mishaps along the way

Comment

Well I did one of my outstanding jobs.
            I got a Wilko wheel barrow a year or two ago. Very impressive with a "Epoxy coated for rust resistance".
            But only the bucket is coated.
            Where the frame bolts on to the bucket there are some welded joints, these have started to rust.
            So dismantled it and wire brushed and red leaded them.
            I might tie wrap some lengths of old bike tire to the feet to stop them wearing our on the floor.
            One down, infinite number to go.
            Jimmy
            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

hahahahahahaha my entire garden is one big project - we have set ourselves until the end of Sept to get it finished, which ties in nicely!

We have 4 beds dug, 2 to go - sadly they are the biggest and most difficult two - entirely full of tree stumps and tree roots! Wish us luck

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                entirely full of tree stumps and tree roots! Wish us luck
                See
                Tree Stump Removal
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Good luck Vixylix! Look forward to seeing the before and after photos ;-)

Comment

Great thread, but wouldn't know where to start, possibly the garage or the hut or the potting shed (well that what it will be if I clean it out) or the wood storage or the greenhouse or the back garden or...
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Choose one, rary, and go for it! Since you're a late starter (and old) you have until the end of September to complete your project.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Choose one, rary, and go for it! Since you're a late starter (and old)
                        I resemble that remark
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I've done a bit more

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	2374602

It looks very hill billy! But it's for chickens and it does the job.

Inside

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2374603

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2374604

Entrance ( tunnel to hopefully stop pigeons getting to all the food)

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	2374605

It's been up 3 days and chickens are using it already.
                          Still have to finish strimming and put stone down in really soggy areas.

Comment

Last day of August tomorrow.
                            Don't forget to show us what your "completed" project looks like - and what your September Project will be.

Comment

I can't believe its September tomorrow - where has this year gone?!

Comment

First & Second Gaps are now passable

Before & After

Name:	DSCF8975.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	2374769 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9010.jpg
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	2374768

Name:	DSCF8974.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	2374770 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9011.jpg
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2374771

There was a fence behind the smiley tree stump. I've removed some of it but there is more to dig out. Had to pull out the nettles before I could reach it Still some way to go with this area but I'm happy that I've done more than I set out to do.

Name:	DSCF9013.jpg
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2374772

Roll on September

Right, I've shown you mine, now show me yours

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse