Is it worth still potting on toms?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth still potting on toms?

I finally found the builders buckets I bought for my toms. Is it worth moving them into these this late in the season? My house toms look healthy enough, there just doesnt seem to be much in the way of fruit.

The small pots may be the reason there isn't much fruit

Are they in a greenhouse? If they are - I'd certainly pot them on, cos they could carry on growing/fruiting well into Autumn.

Comment

As Thelma says above, yes pot them on. But I would be seriously considering stopping the tops about then so that the flowers and set fruit already there get the sole benefit of all that growth spurt. Wishing for more later fruit might be a bit ambitious at this late stage, certainly no more than a couple more weeks of top growth anyway.

Comment

a bit ambitious at this late stage, certainly no more than a couple more weeks of top growth anyway.
        In my experience, August and September are usually warm enough in the greenhouse, for the plants to continue growing and setting fruit.
        Most years they will still have time to ripen, or worst case scenario, any grown big enough - but still green - can be ripened indoors.

I can understand stopping them if they are growing outside, though, altogether different conditions - specially if it stays cool and wet, like today

Comment

I do have a greenhouse that i can move them into, although ive taken the ones that were in there (and in mfb's) out as it was just too hot! Still its got cooler so that might help now

Comment

I would pot the on just because 'with nothing to lose, you can only gain'.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thats very true! Ive potted on three plants so far, but need more compost, so a trip to b&q later is on the cards.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X