No announcement yet.

Spring onion advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Welsh Onions don't really form a bulb, just a slightly fatter bit at the end. They divide once or twice a year. You can pull individual leaves off plants as green onions or lift and divide clumps harvesting some complete onions and replanting enough to re-clump for next year.

They do flower and can die down in summer to then regrow in Autumn and over winter (often splitting when they regrow)

There's several different varieties including Perutil which doesn't flower. I think (but I'm not totally sure) that SOME of the Japanese bunching onions are varieties of Welsh Onions. At the moment I have Red, White, Perutil and a couple of plants of what is supposed to be Russian Giant.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Thanks, Jay-ell. I'll add them to the list for my next purchase.

Comment

Spring onions are definitely a long term crop. They take absolute ages so I do succesion sowing so I will have a continous crop. But considering that Ive only started a couple of months ago, I don't think I'll be harvesting soon.
        I plant 5-6 seeds in a module, a 12 cell module at a time and when they're 3-4" tall I transplant them in the ground. I prefer to plant them in bunches so when they're ready I pull the whole bunch.
        The varities I grow are Purplette, Ishikura, Feast and White Lisbon.
        I the winter I cover them with a bit a fleece or a cloche but make sure they don't dry out.
        Patience is required, I'm afraid . Keep at it if you like your onions

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X