No announcement yet.

How's it going so far ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty happy. The key theme this year has been no matter how far behind you get, you'll be surprised how much you can catch up... :-)

With the cold weather, many plants are way behind, but I still think we're going to get decent crops from most. And the plot is simply a lovely place to be right now.

Leeks - I've JUST got these in, but I think they'll produce fine.
    Courgettes - starting to crop nicely now, and looking lovely.
    Bean teepee and tunnel. Although the tunnel is hardly clothed, I think this is going to be lovely. Mangetout, french beans, tromboncino all getting their heads in the air now. I suspect the tromboncino won't crop, but I'll give it another go next year if not. Runners are flowering freely.
    Sweetcorn. Shhhh. Don't say anything, but we're nearly hip high and looking strong....
    Sweet peas - two years of failure and now success. Lovely.
    Peas, grew well, but I need to sort out the support so I don't get a flop over that hampers harvesting, and then everything grinds to a halt... will try a sowing for autumn pickings.
    Broad beans. Whoa. Slow down there boys. Ants and blackfly not withstanding, with a couple of doses of fairy liquid, we've managed to get along.
    Squashes - Jack o lantern doing its stuff, and I expect a fruit to set any day now. The french varities I've tried have never got going - maybe too cold?
    Potatoes - charlottes are just lovely. roosters have had a mulch and feed, because they're looking a bit yellow. Blue danube is soldiering on, will be interesting to see how they do.
    Onions. A few bolted, the rest doing well, I think.
    Cucs and tomatoes at home. One mini cuc about ready to harvest, nothing else yet. It's going to be borderline.
    Toms on the plot. If I get one, I will be surprised and delighted!
    Brussels and purple sprouting broccoli. plants are looking outstanding, but once again the PSB is sprouting more than 6 months before it's supposed to.
    Rainbow beetroot. Leaf, no root. Won't sow that again.
    I ate my own raspberry (yes, singular!) for the first time. next year is the year...

Surprise winners:-
    Strawberries - loved the milk bottle set up, and fruited well (although some not very sweet, due to lack of sunshine!)
    Carrots - never had success before, but these were lovely!
    Spring onions - ditto!

Pests - sparrows drove me mad earlier in the season, but w're getting along fine now. There's at least one thrush visiting now, which is so lovely! Slugs and snails seem to be under control, but we'll see when the potatoes come up. Blackfly needed seeing to, but still not terrible. I'm getting along with the ants.

(Kirk, I SO want to know what variety your crazy squash is? I love it when they try and take over the world... )

Comment

The weather has definitely been interesting... most of my stuff is just finally starting to get going, apart from raspberries and strawberries we've not really benefitted from anything.

Most things are looking good, except:

* Chillies are only JUST starting to grow, most likely too late - but the overwintered ones (and yours Deano!) are doing well
      * Broad beans, CFB and peas all took a battering - not sure whether it was wind or sun or what, but they are all in a row which is odd. I have replacements for them all, I just need to get them in
      * Corn and cucumber growing but much slower than usual - may be too late for them now

But you win some and you lose some - I am VERY excited I have a butternut squash fruit!

And the good news is everything will have been dug over, so next year I can just crack on

Comment

For me....

Lettuce- slow to germinate but growing very well
        Spring Onions – good as always
        Herbs- all good so far
        Sweetcorn- looking good but too early for judgement
        Garlic- Very good crop of Messidrome, EPW, Solent Wight and Printanor; good return of Sprint and my own “naturalised” stuff..
        Elephant Garlic is okay
        Spinach- hit and miss germination.
        Cabbages very good
        Kohl Rabbi- slow to germinate
        Turnips- okay
        Potatoes- look very healthy so far – None harvested yet, first ones to be dug this week; can’t wait!
        Cucumbers- like everyone else are fantastic
        Peas- slow growth
        Carrots- slow to get going
        Beetroot- is ok
        Onions- great crop; always do well for me..
        Leeks- doing very well
        Courgette plants – slow to get going; look quite healthy now but still waiting on first courgette..
        Tomatoes look very well with lots of fruit but none ripened as of yet..
        Chillies are great with plenty of fruit; trying to keep on top of greenfly in some cases
        Strawberries- best year ever!
        Raspberries- so much fruit; lots of jam etc made
        Redcurrants and Blackcurrants are brilliant too
        Blueberries have lots of fruit, just starting to ripen
        Gooseberry- not as much as last year but ok
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

Potatoes..already harvesting them.
          Tomatoes..also harvesting some.
          Mixed lettuce leaves good in the beginning but now bolting.
          Spring onions...good.
          Garlic...rubbish...all white roy
          Strawberries...fantastic crop.
          Gooseberries...fantastic crop.
          Plums...going well so far.
          Brocolli....fair.
          Chills...great crop so far..
          Other bits and pieces doing ok.
          Cucumber...as usual I just cant seem to grow them.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks I'm also gonna try stuffing them. Looking forward to serving these up...

Comment

Potatoes - so far so good, although we've had several full Hutton warnings and I've removed a few suspiciously blighty leaves this week.
              Excellent year for onions, and OK for garlic
              Best year ever for my strawberries
              Good yield of blackcurrants and raspberries
              Courgettes are doing great - I planted them directly into farmyard manure and they're loving it
              Winter brassicas are all coming along nicely, sweetcorn looking good, beetroot and salad all pretty good

On the downside, it's been a really bad year for my peas and broad beans, in fact probably the worst year ever - poor germination, then poor pollination, and now the peas are getting mildew and beans getting chocolate spot.

Tomatoes are still tiny green dots....not sure if they'll have time to grow and ripen

On balance it's been a pretty good year so far. Some plants have been a bit slow, but are catching up now. Oddly, despite the mild winter there's been very little slug damage this year - aphids have been more of a problem.

Comment

Mixed results here.

onions - rubbish
                garlic - covered in rust
                potatoes - very nice
                Cauliflower - good
                cabbage - very good
                carrots - average
                runner beans - slow
                french beans - average
                parsnips- look good
                courgettes - 100's
                strawberries - rubbish
                raspberries - lush
                butternut - prolific
                cues - very good
                broad beans - OK
                beetroot - very good

and the list goes on, still I have enjoyed it so what more can I ask

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X