Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Haulms Broken - new shoots!

Hi,

New to growing potatoes, and all was going so well, until the plants collapsed and the stems snapped near the base. Nightmare. Got rid of all of the dead/dying foliage and hoping for the best! (With varying advice online - some saying leave it laying there, some saying haulms should be cut to harden potato skin...)

BUT on a couple of the broken haulms, new shoots are emerging. With only 2-3 weeks left until they are due to be harvested, I don't know whether they will add to the growth of the potatoes or take energy from the tubers and reduce my yield!

So do I leave them be? Or remove these shoots to preserve what's already grown?

Cheers for any help!

PS: they are Maris pipers, being grown in sacs.

Hi CWoodard and welcome to the Vine. Can't answer your question but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. Have you had a furtle to see what's going on down there, it might be time to start harvesting.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Maris Piper are a main crop so will need 22 weeks plus in good conditions, can I ask how long yours have been in?
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi,

They have been in since the 25th Feb, so have had a solid amount of growing time - I did have a rummage around last week and found a little potato, but am aware they need more time!
        I read somewhere 18 weeks? I am in the south east and we have had pretty good weather over the last couple of months which can only be a good thing!

Comment

18 weeks is usually the time span given for second early spuds.

I have never experienced your problem when the haulm has completely broken away but am trying to work it out. I think I would be right in saying that without all that greenery above ground the potatoes themselves will not grow anymore. Therefore your options are limited (1) dig them up and see if you have any you could use as new potatoes or (2) give them more time to let the haulm recover and improve your crop.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking the same thing - I just don't know if letting the haulms regrow will take energy away from crop that has already grown!

Comment

Hi and welcome!
              You could hedge your bets and take some now and leave some to grow on. In a few weeks time, you'll be able to tell us what is the better course of action

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X