Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird scarers - what have people found to be most effective?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my modified MK V Bird Scarer. Alans Allotment: Modified MK V Bird Scarer

Here they are insitu Alans Allotment: Compost & Cucumbers
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Just make sure it does not look like a ...................pigeon, we call those ...............decoys. If you can make it look like a predator species it might well work.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I tie an empty plastic bottle to three feet of string and hang it from a fishing rod (or bendy tent pole) at 45 degrees so it can bounce about in the wind. It deters most pigeons from the immediate area but doesn't seem to bother the smaller birds.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I fed the birds one of my unnetted strawberries the other day,I was eating one & noticed one of them had been half eaten by a slug so I broke it up & put it in my bird feeding area. Birds here prefer the seeds,fatballs & mealworms (& cheese today there's a lot of young starlings) I find if I look after them,they make good allies,I had a blackbird in a trough yesterday found a wiggly bug & today sparrows were following each other around my tomato canes,I wouldn't scare a group of predators away but if the only thing for them to forage is my strawberries they'd have to take them for survival.

Comment

Took this photo just now,a little tree sparrow checking things out & a million starlings
            Attached Files

Comment

I use my housemate as he is good at running out, waving his arms about. Trouble is he sometimes goes 'off plot' to work, go shopping etc which is a bit of a let down.

I find that having a lot of obsticles scattered about stops big birds - so no neat rows of canes, but scattered wigwams as it makes landing harder for big birds, so they seem less inclined to bother.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X