Over potting is it a myth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Gardening is trial and error and you should do what works best for you.
    Potting up into large pots now probably won't hurt as everything is warm, space isn't an issue as you don't have to worry about frost but in the colder months when toms are sat in large pots of soggy soil they really don't thrive for me.
    This is pretty much what i was about to say. Its the time of year that dictates my potting on (or lack of it this time of year).

Comment

For what it is worth, my system is basically sow small seeds together in a pot, pot up into 3.5 inch pots at the 2 true leaf stage or thereabouts, pot on into final positions when big enough to cope with the conditions. I rarely bother with intermediate pots. Bigger seeds are often planted straight into the 3.5 inch pots and go out from there.

My only real exceptions are carrots, other root veg and pak choi which are not good at being transplanted - I sow carrots and pak choi where they are going to grow, and root veg in modules or paper pots and plant out the lot, thinning if necessary.

Sometimes, with the bigger brassicas like broccoli, the plant becomes too big for the 3.5 inch pot before its bucket becomes available (usually growing potatoes). In this case I will pot the plant on into a bigger pot rather than leave it to get pot bound and hungry.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X