Friday jobs
    Take photos (1st of month)
    Collect rain water
    Dig horsetail
    Sow leeks, carrots
    Plan May sowings
    Plan weekend gardening
    Harvest lettuce, carrots, leeks
    Last edited by Penellype; 01-05-2020, 07:21 AM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Plan is to try and buy some compost , then nip to mums to fit some wildlife friendly deterrant, to the top of her greenhouse (to deter wood pigeons using it as a roost ..there are enough trees to roost in).
      Northern England.

Comment

• The fun way to do it is to fit a perch over the ridge that rotates each time they land and film them trying to perch on it.
        That would be just as frustrating for them as cleaning up is for your mum.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Jobs for the weekend
          Transplant toms, aubergines and peppers
          Sow some lobelia, petunias and marigolds in the hope theyll mature in time (Discovered today that bedding plants have become rarer than hens’ teeth around here)
          Prep the roots bed for parsnips, Hamburg Parsley, Salsify and Scorzonera.
          Last edited by muckdiva; 01-05-2020, 12:40 PM.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

• Friday jobs
            Take photos (1st of month) - done
            Collect rain water - done
            Dig horsetail - no
            Sow leeks, carrots - done
            Plan May sowings - done
            Plan weekend gardening - done
            Harvest lettuce, carrots, leeks - done

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
            Take 3 biggest tomato plants to greenhouse (too cold really but out of space)
            Plant tomatoes in greenhouse and protect with cover
            Weeding
            Watering if needed

At allotment
            Collect rain water
            Dig horsetail
            Weeding
            Trim grass edges if dry enough
            Watering if required
            Sow carrots
            Harvest lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, broccoli, leeks

At home
            Deadheading
            Weeding
            Sow more carrots
            Pot up cabbages
            Check peas and plant out if getting too tall
            Harvest lettuce, carrots, calabrese (if any)
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Weekend jobs

At my friend's
              Take 3 biggest tomato plants to greenhouse (too cold really but out of space) - done
              Plant tomatoes in greenhouse and protect with cover - done
              Weeding - no
              Watering if needed - just greenhouse

At allotment
              Dig horsetail - no, too wet
              Weeding - no, too wet
              Trim grass edges if dry enough - no, too wet
              Watering if required - no, too wet
              Sow carrots - no, too wet
              Harvest lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, broccoli, leeks - done

At home
              Deadheading - done some
              Weeding - done some
              Sow more carrots - no
              Pot up cabbages - done
              Check peas and plant out if getting too tall - no, but did plant some nasturtiums to ward off pea moth
              Harvest lettuce, carrots, calabrese (if any) - done carrots

Monday jobs (weather permitting, currently raining)
              Collect rain water
              Pull horsetail
              Put covers back on at allotment
              Find fleece to cover strawberries
              Harvest carrots, spinach, leeks

Comment

• Monday jobs
                Pull horsetail - no
                Put covers back on at allotment - done
                Find fleece to cover strawberries - done
                Harvest carrots, spinach, leeks - done

Also potted up cabbages

Tuesday jobs
                Open and shut covers - done
                Pull/dig horsetail - done some
                Weeding - done some
                Plant out peas - done
                Sow carrots - done some
                Harvest lettuce, fennel - done

Wednesday jobs
                Open and shut covers
                Pull/dig horsetail
                Weeding
                Cut grass if dry enough
                Sow more carrots, melons
                Reorganize plants under lights to accomodate germinating peas
                Harvest lettuce, carrots, spinach
                Last edited by Penellype; 05-05-2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Welp, it's the full moon tomorrow lunchtime so I need to crack on with some sowing today!
                  • Mix up some seed compost from coir + MPC
                  • Sow herbs in pots for short term use: basil, coriander, parsley
                  Later this week I need to fettle the conservatory so I have space for some module trays...

Comment

• I got a delivery of compost today, so tomorrow will be potting on day...………………......…..

Comment

• I will finish digging out the compost heep ....its only taken me a week ..then i will start on the other one, moving it over.
                      Last edited by Ms-T; 06-05-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• My plans for the bank holiday weekend, rarely get everything done but we'll see how we get on.
                        • Replacement (extruded acrylic rather than glass) panels are due to arrive today (fingers crossed!) so should hopefully get the greenhouse relocation project completed this evening or tomorrow. Mostly done, some improvements to make later.
                        • Weed the polytunnel, the nettles are making a comeback. Done
                        • Fell some of the trees we want rid of in the garden. Ideally chop up into manageable pieces or into log burner size logs for relatives with burners and set aside to dry/cure
                        • Lift some of the random flag stones we have lying around the property (they are scattered all over!) and move them to the greenhouse area to extend the paved area
                        • Move the empty compost bin to near the new location for the greenhouse, potentially move the contents of the full-ish one into beds or bin in new location
                        • Few bits of fencing in the horse fields need repair jobs/work before the manure suppliers can be let in.
                        • My attempt at a small orchard could do with a bit of a strim down of the grass/nettles/other non tree items. I've also got some wind break mesh to try and give it a bit cover (its a small strip along a field we didnt want to let the horses in) as it tends to get absolutely battered by the wind.
                        Hopefully get a few more plants out to the tunnel and potted up and the windowsills are all a bit full!
                        Last edited by MartinRSharpe; 08-05-2020, 09:39 AM. Reason: Update progress

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
                          Open and shut covers - done
                          Pull/dig horsetail - done some
                          Weeding - done some
                          Cut grass if dry enough - done, plus both lawns
                          Sow more carrots, melons - done
                          Reorganize plants under lights to accomodate germinating peas - - decided to put peas in growhouse
                          Harvest lettuce, carrots, spinach - done

Thursday jobs
                          Weeding
                          Pull horsetail
                          Check hedges and trim any long bits
                          Tidy up grass edges
                          Harvest lettuce, carrots, spinach

Comment

• Thursday jobs
                            Weeding - done some
                            Pull horsetail - done some
                            Check hedges and trim any long bits - done
                            Tidy up grass edges - done rear lawn
                            Harvest lettuce, carrots, spinach - done plus broccoli

Also took some of the peas to the allotment. Various things already needing watering.

Friday jobs
                            Take remaining peas to allotment
                            Rearrange plants under lights, move balconi tomatoes to windowsill
                            Take 3 biggest tomatoes to my friend's greenhouse before they fall over
                            Pot up biggest pepper
                            Deadheading
                            Weeding
                            Watering
                            Harvest last 2 carrots, fennel or spinach

Comment

• Friday jobs
                              Take remaining peas to allotment - done
                              Rearrange plants under lights, move balconi tomatoes to windowsill - done
                              Take 3 biggest tomatoes to my friend's greenhouse before they fall over - done plus some cabbages
                              Pot up biggest pepper - done
                              Deadheading - done some
                              Weeding - done a little
                              Watering - done
                              Harvest last 2 carrots, fennel or spinach - done spinach plus rhubarb

Also took everything out of the growhouse at home, cleaned the glass, removed slugs from the self watering trays and moss/liverwort from the capillary matting and surfaces of the pots.

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
                              Rig up plastic covers for tomatoes in greenhouse if possible
                              Weeding
                              Watering

At allotment
                              Weeding
                              Dig horsetail
                              Tidy grass edges
                              Watering
                              Cover strawberries and cherry at night from Sunday night
                              Harvest lettuce, spinach, fennel

At home
                              Weeding
                              Deadheading
                              Find fleece and get ready to cover all strawberries, potatoes, fruit trees etc
                              Clear floor space for plants in garage
                              Watering
                              Harvest last 2 carrots

Comment

• Replacement (extruded acrylic rather than glass) panels are due to arrive today (fingers crossed!) so should hopefully get the greenhouse relocation project completed this evening or tomorrow. Mostly done, some improvements to make later.
                                • Weed the polytunnel, the nettles are making a comeback. Done
                                • Fell some of the trees we want rid of in the garden. Ideally chop up into manageable pieces or into log burner size logs for relatives with burners and set aside to dry/cure. Started, 2 trees back to about 10ft trunks with another 2 and a 8-9ft bush thing to go.
                                • Lift some of the random flag stones we have lying around the property (they are scattered all over!) and move them to the greenhouse area to extend the paved area. Couple of small ones moved but still lots to do!
                                • Move the empty compost bin to near the new location for the greenhouse, potentially move the contents of the full-ish one into beds or bin in new location Empty bin moved to the right area, need to decide its exact location then start decanting old bin.
                                • Few bits of fencing in the horse fields need repair jobs/work before the manure suppliers can be let in.
                                • My attempt at a small orchard could do with a bit of a strim down of the grass/nettles/other non tree items. I've also got some wind break mesh to try and give it a bit cover (its a small strip along a field we didnt want to let the horses in) as it tends to get absolutely battered by the wind. Windbreak mesh up. Took a bit longer than I hoped to install but I ended up doing it with tensioned steel wire at the top and bottom then with battons attached to posts in the ground

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X