No announcement yet.

Massive Rain storm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are drying out but the force of the rain caused the soil to be caked and solid

Comment

Pots dry out faster than the earth. We had the same storm pass through here & I haven't watered anything out there yet. Nothing needs water today,my little plastic cups of marigold seedlings are still a bit heavy like its wet enough & it looks like it might rain again with those grey clouds.

Comment

Thanks would you advise not watering for a while

Does the soil improve in time as it seems very dense.

More rain to come monday evening

Comment

I don't know the future but there's a bit of rain in parts of London at the moment if you look at the live rainfall weather radar on the internet. Don't worry for today,it's not sunny enough for the ground to dry out. It is sunny here but cloudy too probably the same as there

Comment

Ill prob water tomorrow then keep them inside monday evening

Comment

I've merged your threads about the rain.
              Are the pots that have "caked" soil the ones you put in the "very hot conservatory" to dry out?

Comment

Yes Veggie Chicken , but they also seemed to have caked and got quite dense outside 2

Comment

Could it be that the surface of the compost has dried out but underneath its still moist - like baking a loaf with a crust from the oven.

Comment

yes how does one rectify this

Comment

If underneath is still moist, there's nothing to rectify - and they won't need watering tomorrow. Just don't bake your pots in a hot conservatory again

Comment

Originally posted by Tarragon2017 View Post
                        Snoop puss this was like a rain storm. Anyway I did put some seeds of asian herbs in Grape plastic fruit containers , this morning the sol was ultra soggy so I have now put it in the very hot conservatory , will the soil come back to what it was , as it feels kinda sludgy at the moment.
                        Just to add my two-peneth worth, I may have missed this and it may be obvious but have the pots (grape containers) got holes in the bottom? The ones in our fridge don't, so if not have you added any? If there are holes for drainage I don't see this as a problem.

Comment

John they came with holes , will the soil come back to normal soon

Comment

Yes, as others have indicated it should return to normal. You may be able to gently loosen the the crusty top.

Comment

Just seen the weeks weather on countryfile, oh dear, never mind, its usual summer for us then, summer is definitely here as the rain has got quite warm (that's how we tell summer) so we are now looking forward to July..

Comment

Buffs it seems that way , I am a new Gardener so I am worried that Fridays stormed has ruined my chances of getting any germination. If I do have success I am more likely to continue with gardening as I do enjoy it , but I do need some sort of results

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X