Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milk bottle planter rack? Construction ideas help...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harsh Cadalot, harsh.

But it's certainly true I don't have anywhere to PUT the hook...

*eyeroll*

Comment

1bee, Cad - a coat stand, weighted down with breeze blocks or the like

I jest - I was thinking there might be a wall / shed / tree you could hang it on.

Where's there's a will there's a way 1bee - you'll find it

Comment

Another idea is to do what I have done and put strawberries in hanging baskets suspended from apex of greenhouse. I then use extendable plant hangers to make it easier to water and pick strawberries. You can get these from most discount stores.

Have a look at my blog for pictures if you want to see what I mean Plough Your Own Furrow: Strawberry Hanging Baskets
        Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Idea I'm toying with... keep the bottle the normal way up and cut enough off the top keeping the handle intact. Tie one end of rope to a wall or something, thread the rope thou the handles and tie rope to other side of wall (or length of shed etc).

OR

same with the bottles but thread rope thru a few handles and then have the rope tied to a diagonal pole like a chandelier effect.

If that's any inspiration
          412% of statistics are made up.

Comment

Originally posted by mic View Post
            Idea I'm toying with... keep the bottle the normal way up and cut enough off the top keeping the handle intact. Tie one end of rope to a wall or something, thread the rope thou the handles and tie rope to other side of wall (or length of shed etc).

OR

same with the bottles but thread rope thru a few handles and then have the rope tied to a diagonal pole like a chandelier effect.

You'll have her hanging them on't washing line next...................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by mic View Post

OR

I had done this a few years ago in my greenhouse using a bamboo cane through the handles. Done pictures here if you want to have a look Plough Your Own Furrow: Maximise Greenhouse Growing Space - Part 2 . It worked well but was a bit of a faff to water. Your idea of a rope would be better to raise and lower them for maintenance.

Comment

There are jump cups which might work, which you could fit to the side of your shed? They attach to the wings to hold the poles in showjumping.. Little cradle things, probably about the right size.

Comment

Oops sorry, no shed. Cheap hammock frame to attach the structure to?

Comment

I'm now grumpy I don't have a shed or greenhouse...

I think I'm just going to have to buy a couple of fence posts and can the 'movable' idea.

I refuse to be beaten!!

Comment

Walked into that DIY store, picked up two fence posts in the clearance bin.... with neat holes already cut through them in the perfect places, looking about the perfect size for the two metal rails I've got.

Well I never.

Comment

What about a couple of these? Not sure that they would be sturdy enough?

https://www.sure-green.com/products/...FRGNGwodKX0CzA
                        Last edited by SaraJH; 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                          What about a couple of these? Not sure that they would be sturdy enough?

https://www.sure-green.com/products/...FRGNGwodKX0CzA
                          Not sure they would work with a lot of planters, especially when watered. We use those in work to cordon off areas of grass when we are relaying turf and they are quite flexible and bend easily with any sort of weight on them

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	strawberry-milkbottle-planter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2372464

What about this little mockup? Just push the metal pole in the ground and attach the milkbottles. You might need to cable tie the bottom of one milk bottle to the top of the other to keep them alligned, and use strong cable ties. But you'd only need scissors and strong cable ties for this.
                            Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_085549-1036x1842.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2372554Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_085602-1036x1842.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2372555

Just need to drink a lot of milk now...