No announcement yet.

Sowing courgettes indoors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should be fine as long as it stays between about 20 and 30C. So I think you just need a little more patience. 10 days isn't particularly slow and they often do take longer. And make sure the compost is still damp. I find things often germinate after being given a bit more water.
    Last edited by Zelenina; 27-04-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Courgettes can take a while to germinate and a couple of times I have given up and planted more only to find the originals germinating a few days later. I can't speak for squashes as I don't grow them.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Now then.
        As well as the courgettes I've planted some squash in one of those trays of plantable pots and covered the whole thing with a sandwich bag. This was 3 days ago. I think it must have become too humid as a fine white mouldy/fungusy fuzz has appeared over the compost. Is this normal?
        Or, more pertinently, is it curtains for these seeds or are they salvageable?
        Thanks in advance
        D

Comment

No, that's not usual. What kind of compost did you use? It's probably best to take them out of the bag and let them dry out a bit. I don't know if the fungus will harm the seeds. You could explore a couple of the modules to see if they look healthy. Do you have a thermometer you can leave in the utility room to check the temperature at various times of day?
          Last edited by Zelenina; 28-04-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

They're in the same room as my courgettes, which have sprouted just fine, and in the same compost. I think I'll cut my losses and start the pumpkins again - I'll give them more air this time

Comment

lost my courgettes and squash plants - poss too much water

Gutted as raised both plant variety from seeds (in the warm bathroom) and had excellent germination however they were growing really strong and just started flopping over and died.

Is this a sign of rotting? Did I over water? Anything else?

I have two squash plants that I saved repotted gave a tiny amount of water now these are dying too.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

I successfully used cling film that trapped the moisture and heat

Comment

What medium are you using for re-potting.....................any pics?
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-04-2017, 06:50 PM.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

All my courgette plants have sprouted now and the bigger ones have stems that are a good 5 or 6 inches high - is it time to start hardening them off?
                    How long would you do that for before planting them out?

Comment

Mine have been down in the polytunnel for about 2 weeks and are doing ok. Will plant them out at the end of the month. It all depends where you are and the weather you are having.
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 02-05-2017, 07:59 AM.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks mate.
                        Seedlings are now getting taller and are starting to flop over - is this a concern or will they be ok once they're in the ground? I've propped them each up with a plastic straw stuck into the soil but that won't last long.

Comment

There's a similar post here,says they have a natural trailing habit;
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ings_5987.html

Comment

Min, pretty much whatever variety I grow, trail and sprawl all around . One even climbed up the pea and beam frame last year.
                            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

The courgettes and squashes still haven't germinated, although a couple seem to have grown upside down, time to plant more I guess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X