No announcement yet.

Exploring my inner Physalis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your advice and experiences - and a special big Thank you to Sparrow for the Dwarf Pruinosa Physalis!

Today, I've "sown" on cotton wool-
    Physalis - saved by Scarlet in 2012 and by me in 2011
    Giant Physalis - Chiltern Seeds 2011
    Dwarf Pruinosa - Sparrow saved 2013

Tomatillo
    Purple de Milpa - sow by 6/2013
    Green (Wong ones)- 6/2017

Wish me luck with the old seeds. I may try a few from 2008 too! Nothing ventured

Comment

I've grown Peruviana for a number of years they overwinter in the unheated greenhouse for one year but they never seem to survive the second winter. (Plants only one year old do survive but two year old plants don't).

I tried growing them at the allotment but nothing ripened, (maybe I'll try the idea of bringing the branches home to ripen). I like them a lot.

Comment

I'm gonna call my 2 year old phyliwhatnot "Ancient Arthur" - he's looking pretty good at the moment
        Last edited by Baldy; 29-03-2017, 06:06 PM.
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Did you know Physalis means Bladder, Bladders?

Comment

Sowed some Cape Gooseberies and Tomatillos today as there was some space in the propogator

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

^^^^ Copycat!!

Comment

I pruned & overwintered my cape gooseberry wrapped in fleece next to the house on the patio,haven't looked at it yet but I'm hoping it's ok,it might not be...I sowed a few saved seeds from them & they've germinated
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  ^^^^ Copycat!!
                  As soon as I have space, I'm going to sow their nasty vicious cousin - Morelle De Balbis (aka Litchi Tomato)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I planted a few seeds of purple tomatillo about two weeks ago (got em from realseeds), left them in the unheated greenhouse and had a look on monday- no germination. So I brought them in and put them on my vivarium heat mat, and hey presto! They popped up the next day! Cant wait to see how they get on, been hearing a lot of good things about them!

This is my first time growing tomatillos but years ago I grew a few seeds from a cape gooseberry I got on a dessert at a restaurant, had never seen it before but gave it a try, and they grew and fruited really well, I think they even overwintered in a neglected corner of the back yard too! Forgot about them after that though. Always fun to try and grow random seeds!

Comment

VC my CG seeds are in - you are an inspiration, as always!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                        I'm gonna call my 2 year old phyliwhatnot "Ancient Arthur" - he's looking pretty good at the moment
                        I think mine are definitely ex-phyliwotsits. Unless grey and crispy is their new look.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Today I uncovered last years cape gooseberries (two plants in a bucket) & found this little leaf growing
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to 2017, little baby

Comment

I've grown these for years, but never knew they could be overwintered, mine normally die with the tomatoes. Of the two I find tomatillos easier and earlier to fruit, the best variety I've grown is Ciseneros although this year I'm also growing the purple ones. In NZ where I'm from cape gooseberry jam is very popular.

Comment

Mine havent germinated yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X