No announcement yet.

Outdoor tomato varieties?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew Red Alert and outdoor girl this year, both did well but red Alert was outstanding and early, will deffo be growing next year.

Comment

Perhaps an early determinate variety that should ripen before the blight arrives? Urbikany and Latah have done well for us outside in the coastal North West.

Here are some determinates I noted down when looking for 2019 varieties, said to be of good taste and suitable for cooler climates: Grushovka, Kimberley, Koralik, Maglia Rosa, Manitoba, Sasha's Altai and Yaponskiy Karlik/Japanese Dwarf.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
        Perhaps an early determinate variety that should ripen before the blight arrives? Urbikany and Latah have done well for us outside in the coastal North West.
        Yes, I grow latah in a pot as it's usually gone over by the time some of the larger/ slower to fruit varieties have even thought about producing. Started early these have fruited as early as June for me.

Choosing cooler climate toms are a good option - Russian/ Ukrainian varieties are often a good choice for growing outside.

Comment

Red Alert and Balconi red are bush varieties that I have found do well outside. Balconi Red is small enough to be grown on the windowsill until after the first flush of fruit and will produce a 2nd flush if potted up outside.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I grew loads of different varieties this year, and essentially, by early June all my tomatoes were pushing everything else out of the greenhouse, and I still had to put ten or so plants outdoors. The outdoors one didn't do very well, despite the most wonderful summer I've ever experienced. So... more greenhouses!
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Our outdoor toms did amazingly well this year. I emptied growbags onto the soil, covered with black matting a pksntec through it, with a 2 litre empty water bottle buried in the soil beside each plant so I didn't over water or splash stems too much. As result these varieties did brilliantly outside:

Sungold
              Defiant
              Lemon drop
              Red pear
              Principe di borghese
              Red cherry
              Golden sunrise

The only one that wasn't that good was gardeners delight but it did fine in the greenhouse.

Comment

Gardeners delight worked well for me outdoors this year but I think I may have been spoilt by the dry weather.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X