pot size for tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So are grow-bags anything special, or just compost in a bag with lines printed? Are they more expensive?

I saw people mention builders' buckets for a quid, but all I can find are these at 40L, £4: https://www.diy.com/departments/larg.../258643_BQ.prd

what are these acronyms people keep dropping exactly for flower buckets and how do you get them?

I assume the contents of the pots get tossed each winter, or can it be reused?
    Grow bags tend to be a bit more expensive, but can have added nutrients such as seaweed extract etc. Usually, you get what you pay for.

These are the builders' buckets you are looking for. You need to strike a balance as if your containers are too big you end up spending a fortune on compost. I use Morrison's flower buckets.

As nickdub says, compost can be reused but rather than toss it anything I don't reuse gets chucked on the raised beds or into the compost bin.
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 16-05-2018, 12:53 PM.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I use the £1 buckets from B&Q for my toms and I also use them for potatoes. Just one potato per bucket gives good size tubers. If you put two or three potatoes in each bucket you get more but they are much smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
        Grow bags tend to be a bit more expensive, but can have added nutrients such as seaweed extract etc. Usually, you get what you pay for.

These are the builders' buckets you are looking for. You need to strike a balance as if your containers are too big you end up spending a fortune on compost. I use Morrison's flower buckets.

As nickdub says, compost can be reused but rather than toss it anything I don't reuse gets chucked on the raised beds or into the compost bin.
        I try to use the orange for chilli peppers and black for sweet.

Toms and Aubergine get what ever is left over.

Might have to use some bags this year as not had time to get to shop 50 mile round trip, and they don't deliver that item

NB.
        If you are going to leave the handles on and "carting them about" get the B&Q Black bucket - Stronger handle assy
        Last edited by 4Shoes; 18-05-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

The smaller the pot the harder it is to get the watering right.

Comment

Nearly finished my Polytunnel and a big potting up day ahead very soon.

Last year I drilled holes into the bottom of the buckets and left them in growbag trays for watering.

Not got enough growbag tray, so will not be able to water them all from the bottom....

Now for the question.....

Would I be better drilling holes on the sides about 1 in above the base?

Theory is that the bottom of the pot (Pail) will retain water longer (like a reservoir) and will also allow top half to drain.

My other idea is to have buckets either side of a tray, with wicks (made from carpet underlay - the recycled clothes stuff) perhaps 8 to 10 per tray to water them - needs more research onto how to setup..

what do you think ?

Comment

When I sued some capillary matting for watering it was on a cement floor, so I put a plastic sheet down first, then the matting, finally I cut the bottoms off the buckets completely and put these directly on the matting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X