No announcement yet.

Chitting large potatoes...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to cut some in half and leave others and do a comparison.

The rose end certainly has more eyes so I plant to cut the spuds vertically, splitting the rose end in half (just before planting.)
    Do you think that's a good idea???
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I've decided to cut some in half and leave others and do a comparison.

The rose end certainly has more eyes so I plant to cut the spuds vertically, splitting the rose end in half (just before planting.)
      Do you think that's a good idea???
      I don't think it matters where you cut as long as both pieces have at least one decent chit. Logically you would think that the bigger the cut surface the more likely it is to let in disease or rot, but the cut will be large whatever you do so I doubt it makes much difference. Chits that you damage by cutting very near to may die, but I doubt this matters much if there are others left. If peelings will grow, and I have no reason to doubt that, then you should be fine.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Owamya View Post
        No problem with cutting seed potatoes up as it stretches out the crop , I let mine dry out a couple of days before planting. .
        I tried this last year and got good results.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ah...I hadn't thought about the surface area of the cut/disease aspect!
          Right....Plan B ....chop across the middle then!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X