No announcement yet.

Garlic yellowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also follow the garlic farm advice too The tips of the leaves going yellow is very normal. I always give a feed around now.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I also follow the garlic farm advice too The tips of the leaves going yellow is very normal. I always give a feed around now.
      Do you also use sulphate of potash? or something else?
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

I just use BFB and when my worm bin kicks in start watering that in too. It works ok for me. They are in the ground for a long time so they will need something. The tips of the leaves and often the oter leaves can get yellow and damaged and IVe still had some fantastic crops...unfortunately I'm not been very successful the last couple of years as I get hit with garlic rot.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          Oddly, I thought this was a friendly, helpful gardening forum - one which would respond with either 'try feeding with this' or 'no idea'. So, yes - any response would have been welcome
          Chill out Suzie, it's not like you to get your boots in a twist.....................
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've never bothered feeding mine but like I said they're always in pretty rich soil to start with.....
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Chill out Suzie, it's not like you to get your boots in a twist.....................
              Aye - t'was a bit rude of me, wasn't it! Naughty step for me, I reckon.
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

I suspect that they need a feed of something immediate, liquid form of something, then I would add to the area a good few handfulls of pelleted chicken manure. I would add some now and then additional handfuls every week or two.
                I find that garlics need a fairly rich soil. My bed is not big and has had so far 4 bags of manure dug in, and another 2 waiting to go in, and as I have a bag of growmore type pellets I tended to throw a fair bit of that in also. The bag it is in is perishing.

The reason for the chicken manure pellets is to add a bit longer term release of organics to the soil. And to add to the soil.

My garlics are not yellowing but as said they have multiple bag of manure to draw on.

Yellowing is often a sign of a deficency of one mineral or another. Minor problem is that a deficency of just about any one of them tends to turn the green bits of plants yellow.

A liquid feed should put something within access of the roots immediatly, the chicken pellets are for longer term. If you have some manure around (not the normal thing people have in the cupboard) then add it to the soil between/around the garlicks. It will get incorporated by weather and worms. As said I thing they need more then people expect.

Answering posts can be odd. On another and different subject forum seen many sit there with no reply, I have then felt I should at least keep their hopes alive, made a suggestion then others with direct knowledge have jumped in to supply an answer and point out I was incorrect or incomplete.

Guess people see 0 replies and do not read as they assume a complicated question (garlic is not overly complex however), or (more likely) they are waiting fo someone to make the first move. Sort of who is going in first to see if there are crocodiles in there .

So I suggest a good liquid feed, one with everything in, simply not sure which mineral may be missing so give them the lot, then add a a more long term feed material in the terms of chicken manure pellets or common every day manure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                  Guess people see 0 replies and do not read as they assume a complicated question (garlic is not overly complex however), or (more likely) they are waiting fo someone to make the first move. Sort of who is going in first to see if there are crocodiles in there .
                  Love this
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Just gave mine a liquid feed of stinky Comfrey Tea today.......thanks for reminding me Piskie!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      Aye - t'was a bit rude of me, wasn't it! Naughty step for me, I reckon.
                      Watch out now VC's got her pointy stick back

Glad you got some helpful answers
                      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Ha just found this my garlic are doing exactly the same thing so I'm glad you asked! It's been really dry up here and I noticed they perked up a bit after the rain this week so gave them a little supplementary seaweed shower. I'll get some chicken manure pellets too, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X