Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people say that here too Baldy.

Comment

I tried supermarket spuds last year Baldy, and they were fab. However, I grew them in a container and won't re-use the compost so the disease risk is minimised.

Must get mine out to chit actually! Time to start doing something garden-related

Comment

found some tucked away in the shed couple of weeks ago,red duke of york,they had just started,so are now officialy in egg boxes,the trouble is,if peeps don't buy them early enough,particular varieties get sold out,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
          I've noticed that on this forum a lot of grapes use supermarket potatoes or similar leftovers. When I frequented some other forum the advice was always to avoid doing that and always use proper seed potatoes to help avoid disease. A chap from the 'Potatoe Board' (summat like that) would often appear on such threads...

Just sayin'
          I agree, but I use these one year olds too as well as new fresh seed tatties, I intend to get some Sarpo of some sort as well, these are free ones(nothing to loose).

Comment

I've never bought a seed potato Baldy but that's the risk I take.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not yet!

But have a large bag of Sarpo Mira in the back of the car which will get put in egg boxes and placed in the window of the potting shed this next day or two with having a few days off.

Need to get some "Charlotte" yet as I am limiting it to just the two varieties this year!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Im looking at Lady Balfour - so when do you intend to plant for maincrop? Same with charlottes. I only buy organic stock so get mine from Chase.

Comment

Originally posted by chasingmytail View Post
                  Im looking at Lady Balfour - so when do you intend to plant for maincrop? Same with charlottes. I only buy organic stock so get mine from Chase.
                  All tatties can be planted at the same time, the varieties determine how long they stay in the ground. Good Friday is always a date I use for planting tatties.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've been desperately holding off buying mine this year, trying not to look at the displays in the local garden centre, but now I can rush down there tomorrow with a clear conscience if other people have started.

My wife thinks I'm getting a bit over-excited about things though...

Comment

No, but I have ordered them. Being brought over from UK by friends coming over. Made me jolly for the rest of the evening. Might even have done a jig or two...

Comment

The best thing is feeling that things are progressing, even when I can't go over to the plot in the dark evenings.

"You getting anything done this week DataMonkey ?"

"Yeah.....busy chitting, mate....busy chitting"

Comment

Just started chitting my rockets, lady christl, kestrel, and wallys wonders.
                          When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Are they okay in direct sunlight, or are they just on display for photographic purposes ?

Mrs DataMonkey is less than impressed with the prospect of a house full of trays of potatoes for the next couple of months, so if the greenhouse is an option that would help things.

Comment

Ive always left them in the greenhouse just as they are never had any problems .
                              When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Better in the light otherwise you get a lot of long, weak shoots.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X