No announcement yet.

Mind the Gap!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have parsnips & beetroot still in the ground and doing just fine. I've 3 squashes & a bag of oca left too, and leeks, swedes, kale, pak choi, and future psb also at the plot.

My sack of spuds is in the garage and scares me. It's obviously too warm there but is my only option. When you open the metal bin (mice!) it looks like it's housing a family of anaemic spiders.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

We still have carrots and parsnips in the ground under fleece.
      The carrots have a bit of carrot fly damage, but not too bad.
      Our Charlotte spuds are stacked in trays in the dark, frostfree cellar.

We probably have enough to last us until the end of the month....after that I'll be buying big potatoes for chipping and jacketing or upping our intake of pasta/rice/cous cous etc
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I still have carrots in the freezer. No spuds, not growing spuds again, they were a disaster.
        I still have kale, sprouts, leek & swede in the ground. I think I have one red cabbage left as well.

Comment

Potatoes can be mashed and frozen if you are worried about them sprouting.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            Potatoes can be mashed and frozen if you are worried about them sprouting.
            Thanks - need to eat some of the gooseberries/turkey to make room though.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
              I also have some Autumn king planted in august out in the growhouse but they are even smaller than yours.
              Just out of interest, what will happen to these Carrots once they start growing again? Will they go to flower? They are quite small so was wondering if they would carry on growing this year and then go to flower next year?

Edit: Still got plenty of Parsnips in the ground too.
              Last edited by Scoot; 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I still have potatoes in bags... although through abandonment, rather than design, and I assume they won't be very pleasant now! I've been putting it off to be honest.... I keep half expecting them to have started growing again!

Comment

Just out of interest, what will happen to these Carrots once they start growing again? Will they go to flower? They are quite small so was wondering if they would carry on growing this year and then go to flower next year?

They will go to flower once they start growing again.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                    I still have potatoes in bags... although through abandonment, rather than design, and I assume they won't be very pleasant now! I've been putting it off to be honest.... I keep half expecting them to have started growing again!
                    The potatoes should be fine as long as they have not had blight or been eaten by slugs etc. I have kept potatoes in their growing bags through the winter in the garage and they have been perfectly edible. Well worth having a look.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Thanks All for sharing!
                      Looks like I need to try a bit harder to grow carrots & spuds this year.
                      They ain't taking the hint for you to get that pan of broth on the go VC!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Still knee deep in tatties, considering its the only thing I grew last year!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          They will go to flower once they start growing again.
                          Bugger. I was hoping they might not due to them being so small. Never mind.

Comment

I have 1 and a bit containers of carrots (Artemis) still outside but they are in a sheltered spot against a wall with a large radiator on the other side.
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I could never leave mine in the ground, they get full of holes and are unusable if I do.
                              I find as long as they're a decent size and not ravaged by carrot fly they keep so much better in the ground as they stay crunchy rather than go soft in storage at which point even supermarket ones seem to be nicer. I know some people freeze them but a) I've nowhere near enough space in there and b) I don't think they freeze that well. I think if I couldn't store them in the ground then I'd not eat them over winter - only problems I have are when the ground gets very frozen as you have to chisel them out and sometimes the top goes a bit manky but you can cut that off and eat the rest of the root

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Good seed saving opportunity!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X