What tomato varieties are you growing in 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
    The "little Sparrow" came via Nicos and France Kev, just so you know and your welcome
    What what what??? There's a tomato called Little Sparrow?

Don't suppose there's a chance you could wipe some seeds onto some kitchen roll at some point in the season? *hugeeyedbeggingface*
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

You should have them Sparrow? They were in last years 2015 seed swap? Ive got some somewhere..will post if you can't find them.
      Petite Moineau /a currant tomato from Nicos
      Last edited by Scarlet; 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

That's great sort out Cadalot. regarding Indian Bush tomoto seeds , the original pack sow by date is 2015. hope you love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          You should have them Sparrow? They were in last years 2015 seed swap? Ive got some somewhere..will post if you can't find them.
          Petite Moineau /a currant tomato from Nicos
          Oh thanks! I will have another look. 53 packs of seed were discovered having a party in my messy corner in the bedroom just before Christmas. I bet they were in there. Sparrows like parties.

Need to re-do tomato sowing list now - Sparrows!!!
          (eyes back to normal size now)
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I will admit to being "mean" this year and I haven't bought any new tomato seeds so I'm relying on the seed swap (of which 18 varieties I haven't grown before so they'll all go in), presents from my daughter (Earliana and Kanner Hoell) and then from my own saved seeds. These will include Pink Brandywine, Summer Cider, Japanese Black Trifele, Ananas Noire, Blush, Green Grapes and some others to make up the colour/size mix.

I notice that a number of people seem to have problems with beefsteak, my experience is that you have to wait until they are soft to touch before you pick them, only then are they fully ripe and that can be very late on in the season. Then there's nothing to compare with them IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
              That's great sort out Cadalot. regarding Indian Bush tomoto seeds , the original pack sow by date is 2015. hope you love it.
              I must admit it took a little time to sort that lot. Thanks for the date for the Indian Bush, I'm sure I will love them, so far the only tomato I never want to grow again is Garden Pearl or the German equivalent.

Once the F1 have all gone, I'm only going to grow heritage or the derivatives of F1'a as I'm quite happy to see what I get from saving seeds, the Crimson Crush from saved seeds last year produced two very different plants, but the one closely resembling the original plant produce shed loads of fruit and stayed blight free way past other varieties that curled up their toes on our site. When it did finally hit, it was only a little and didn't rush up the plant and into the fruit.

I will be saving seed from Rapunzel F1 and growing them next year if they produce half as good as seen on Ray Browning's Facebook page and YouTube Praxxus 55712 video's I will be a very happy man.

If anyone has any Praxxus Cherry seeds out there I would love to grow them and spread the love...
              Last edited by Cadalot; 05-01-2017, 05:14 PM.
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                I tried beefsteak last year but they were all tasteless. Perhaps we just didn't get enough sun or heat even though the were in the greenhouse they were very poor. Suggestions for the tastiest cherry tomatoes would be welcome as I'm going back to little-ies again as they taste better!
                Sungold taste fantastic and seem to ripen earlier than others. Floridity are a red cherry, also delicious and grow like a mini plum tom. I grew Black Cherry last year. They seem to be popular with people here but I didn't get on well with them. Others will have other suggestions.

Comment

Fantasio and Sun Gold

I would like to recommend Fantasio - I grew from seed last year - very impressed with flavour and good size fruits. Sungold is worth the effort. Avoid Moneymaker - poor taste. This year I will try growing bush tomatoes outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
                    I would like to recommend Fantasio. Sungold is worth the effort. This year I will try growing bush tomatoes outdoors
                    Both of those are F1s which I tend to avoid as I like saving my own seed although I will admit to growing a couple of Sungold for the kids. Sungold for me are far too sweet - almost an artificial taste. I prefer something with a little bite that goes well with a glass of wine

What bush varieties have you chosen?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                      Thank you Zelenina they do all sound good,I'l hopefully save seeds from them
                      I hope you do!! They sound interesting, what a lovely present..

Comment

Outdoor Girl

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Both of those are F1s which I tend to avoid as I like saving my own seed although I will admit to growing a couple of Sungold for the kids. Sungold for me are far too sweet - almost an artificial taste. I prefer something with a little bite that goes well with a glass of wine

What bush varieties have you chosen?
                        Just going to try the one bush variety.
                        I like Sungold (to eat) in with a mix of others - last year we also liked Rosella and I have seed left for this year. I also grew Sweet Aperitif which was good but not memorable!

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                          I must admit it took a little time to sort that lot. Thanks for the date for the Indian Bush, I'm sure I will love them, so far the only tomato I never want to grow again is Garden Pearl or the German equivalent.
                          Interested to know more about why Garden Pearl gets the thumbs down? Interested 'cos I have a free packet of seeds from last year - guess free for a reason....
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 15-01-2017, 06:54 PM. Reason: Fixing quote :)

Comment

last year we also liked Rosella and I have seed left for this year.
                            There were lots of good reviews for this tomato last year - one that is on my list to sow too

Interested to know more about why Garden Pearl gets the thumbs down? Interested 'cos I have a free packet of seeds from last year - guess free for a reason....
                            Every ones tastes are different so still worth a try IMO.

Comment

I grew Gardenpearl last year in a bucket in GH. Plenty of fruit over a long time. I'll grow it again.

Comment

Me also, i find it tasty and very productive.

I think Deano was one raving about Rosella last year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X