Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I've filled and watered a 40 cell tray. It's now sitting in my heated propagator.
    Chilli seed sowing tomorrow

Comment

• Pat: What did you do today?

Mike: Nothing.

Pat: I thought you did that yesterday.

Mike: I wasn't finished.

Anyway, I'm a bit late posting here but I planted garlic Monday.
      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• Cut back the carnations.

Trying to prepare for next week's predicted heat wave. On the downside, it will stop my indeterminate tomatoes from setting fruit. On the plus side, it should help the fruit which has already set on the determinate tomatoes to ripen and it might move the capsicums along (these are growing painfully slowly this year).

Felling a bit better about my own garden after a long chat with the co-ordinator of the local community garden. They're having problems with lettuce, cucumbers, capsicum and strawberries this year so at least I'm reassured that my own issues with those aren't due to something I'm doing (or not doing).
        Last edited by lolie; 09-12-2017, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Planted my new pear tree. I was thinking of something unusual, but Mrs H loves Conference so that's what I bought. I'm glad I got it in the ground yesterday before today's snow!
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Started sieving the contents of all the chilli pots and containers.

Comment

• Built a snowman.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3B478D05-B8B8-4D4E-B101-137EC083E212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2375874

Also picked up the Photinia red robin we transplanted from our back garden a few months ago. It’s clearly not rooted and looks pretty dead so I guess I will be pulling it out soon and coming up with a new plan to fill the 6ft gap in our front hedge.

Comment

• Bagging and sorting seed packets!

Comment

• Removed some of the netting from my brassica cage it was holding too much snow.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Washed canes, did a bit of tidying in the garage, finished my home-made seed planting ruler, and a carol service;-)

Comment

• Pollinated some cucumber flowers.

There's nothing for me to do in the garden at the moment. The lawn needs mowing but we're having a heatwave so it will have to wait.

Comment

• well, yesterday I built a snowman
                        I also went to the allotment to take some acquired wood round. rescued my brassicae from a collapsed net. I saw someone else's footprints at the allotment, but didn't see them...
                        noted next door's huge fruitcage had partly collapsed and emailed the secretary to pass it on. He started his email "one hardy soul has been to the plot today..."

Comment

• Yesterday - was pure baltic, but a crisp, sunny day, so i donned all the cold weather gear I could comfortably wear and headed to the plot looking like Scott of the Antarctic.
                          Main job for the day was to cut down the asparagus ferns and mulch the bed for winter. First I put down some well rotted manure, then a layer of seaweed, and topped it of with leafmould/leaves from the communal pile. The ferns I piled up on the rhubarb patch, they can stay there protecting that until Spring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_113607_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	2375881

Other than that, I did a bit of tidying, chopped all the dead sunflower and artichoke stems into the compost bin, and started putting together a leafmould cage.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

• Brought a carrier bag of compost and a load of 3" pots into Area 51 (dinning room) to warm up a little, ready for when my babies (chillies) start germinating. Also done my first draft of next years growing layout. No doubt the first of many!

Comment

• Trimmed a few leaves off the zucchini and watered everything in preparation for the 41C (105.8F) we're expecting today.

Comment

• Pulled out the Lebanese cucumber plant which was only producing female flowers. Planted a few spring onion ends.

Tomatoes are taking forever to ripen this year even though they set fruit early. The only thing I'm able to harvest at the moment is zucchini.

We're in for another heat wave this week, so hopefully some tomatoes and some strawberries will finally ripen. I really wanted homegrown tomatoes for Christmas day but I don't like my chances.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X