Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the last round with the ants was a knock out as there weren't any left in the compost bin.

Shovelled and trugged the rest of the compost over to the bed and filled it up. That soil hadn't had much added over the last few years so needed the addition.

Put together the grid for the square foot layout - now just got to figure out what's to go into the 32 spaces.

My autumn sown alliums are keeling over and dying off. The Jermor shallots are disappointing - they've split into about half a dozen bulbs but haven't stolen up. Still, small sets. are supposed to give large shallots so they'll be used as starts in autumn.

The bed the autumn alliums is in the new Territories and all the beds there needs some serious soil improvement - it's just. too solid when dry and heavy when not. The Purple White is pretty small aswell. Looks like it's going to be a pickled onion harvest aswell.

As I'm on about alliums the wild and wonderful allium bed has some interesting allium flowers on it - including Hair.

Pruned the grape vines back to a single shoot to train up as a trunk. Stuck the prunings into the ground to see if they take - if the do then I'll have to figure out what to do with a dozen vines.

Pulled out last year's chard and lettuce as they were bolting - that's a few more squares in the other square foot bed to sow.

Found some parsnip seeds with a use by date of 2017 so I figured is bung them in and see what happens - some in the roots bed, some near the rhubarb, some in the New Territories Yacon bed.

Also sowed some coriander, romanescue courgettes and some trombone squash.

My autumn raspberries are starting to ripen although my summer raspberries are still green. Red currants are going red and black currants are going black - think tomorrow is the start of picking time for them.

Moved some junk around a bit trying to figure out which bed to build first and where to put the soil that's in the way in the meantime.

Noticed little hints of red on the Jackpot and Hestia drb plants and the broad beans are flowering.

Weeded. Tore up loads of cardboard and paper to throw into the new compost pile along with the grass cuttings, bokashi, chard, etc. It's getting full already. Be full of ants soon

Got some lavender planted out and sowed some dfb in between the sweetcorn.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Picked my first strawberries of the year :-)

Comment

• Got up early, harvested some Chard, Kale, Spinach Beet, Salad stuff & Strawberries. Watered all the veg & seedlings. Dead headed Dahias & squeezed the seed pods.

Done for the day

Comment

• PS Felt a sense of elation when I saw that the latest lot of Carrots had germinated, all my previous sowings had failed

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny.D View Post
            PS Felt a sense of elation when I saw that the latest lot of Carrots had germinated, all my previous sowings had failed
            Likewise.............now i've sown them too thick as I was working on percentages!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Got to play about in the "Greenhouse"

Grandaugter's bean plant now romping away n as now set flower! She'll be "Well Chuffed"

The "Artisan" Behind proper doing their thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2373167

A few "Chillies" set, Cuc's set!

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2373168

And after tomorrows shift, get to play out for two whole weeks!

Name:	IMG_2204.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2373169

Bring it on!!!!!!!!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• So far - courgettes now in bed Pumpkins in sales, bedding plants in planters, Tom's watered. About to pot on cucumber into stayput so window sills completely clear of plants - for now Sales are actually daleks!
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Cucumber done now everything needs a drink - mine will be of an alcoholic type
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Sowed an 8'x4' square foot gardwn bed - 32 squares full of 25 different types of veg.

Had a visitor from another plot wander in and help himself to my strawberries - what a cheek!

Name:	Visitor.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2373177

Mulched the strawberry bed with straw. Had to eat some of the strawberries to get them out of the way.

Ate my first Autumn Raspberry.

Harvested my redcurrants

P.S. I forgot to say that before watering the beds in the Jungle I dusted them with Garlic powder to see if that will combat white rot. All I can smell in garlic.

Also, several of the other plot holders had a barbecue (one family has several plots) and passed out sausages in buns and bbq chicken. Nice of them.
                    Last edited by Jay-ell; 17-06-2017, 11:05 PM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Planted yesterday :
                      22×Earlybird sweetcorn into my neighbours plot
                      36× Cairngorm leeks
                      Brussel sprout Nelson x1
                      Brussel sprout Bosworth x4
                      3x cauliflower Cheesy
                      35 Savoy King

Comment

• Absolutely nothing... its far too warm (and I'm a touch hungover) - I have just dragged myself round with the hosepipe though

My poor lettuce seedlings may be crisped beyond repair -time will tell

Comment

• Today got a few things done that were well overdue but only had an hour or so to do them.

Sown direct to fill the gaps:
                          Climbing bean Coco blanc a rames
                          Climbing bean Blue Lake
                          Runner bean Armstrong

Planted
                          1× Turks Turban
                          1x Patty Pan

Comment

• Happy early morning slot on the plot. Was already too hot to garden by 7am, I was distinctly hot and bothered when I left at 7.45!

Tied in some sunflowers, hoed leek bed ahead of planting out in the next week or two. Uncovered the brassica tunnel, hoed, and re-covered. Weeded the bed under the bean tunnel and planted out 15 cobra and cosse violette to replace direct sown ones which were a complete failure.

Watered strawberries and raised beds. Mowed paths.

Dunked myself under a tap and headed off to work.

Comment

• Yesterday I picked more salad must be about the 7th cut of my mixed leaves now. really pleased with how they have been, I also picked my first spring onions. were a little small but my god they were strong .. Strawberries moved to a bigger pot. and all tomatoes potted into final big pots at 2 plants per pot.

Finally managed to get a poly tunnel, to fit my veg trug to keep the pesky cats from doing there business. So have planted another lot of beetroot in the hope that they will remain in the soil and not dug up by the cats..
                              Giving everything a good water and feeling rather pleased

Comment

• Cut lawns/paths and privet hedge now most birds have fledged, might go out for a bike ride later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X