Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to the plot in the afternoon and noticed that my stick was starting to bud out and develop leaves – I may have a peach tree after all. The blossom on the blackberries which was so lovely and loved by the bees is now fading but the chive hedge is in full bloom (forgot to take a photo) and the bees have moved onto them (although still making visits to the raspberries). The scorzonera flowers are starting to open so I was in time to see one lovely big bloom.

Got a new hose long enough to do the length of the plot – it’s nice to be able to use it without the connectors exploding when you stop watering.

Finally got round to doing stuff in the greenhouse – looks a lot worse now than when I started. I pulled out the irrigation system from the greenhouse and remade it. Last year I put in a system using that narrow black drip irrigation hose which is good for connecting to individual drippers but isn’t so good to use as a main line as it doesn’t allow enough water to flow so that all the drippers can work effectively. Today I stripped it out and put in a new system using 13mm hose as the main, elbow connectors at the corners and T connectors off to 10 arms each with an inline valve, 2 foot length of 13mm hose and an end plug. Added a separate filter just after the water butts to feed into a brand new timer running the show (the timer as a built in “filter” but it’s not as fine as the separate one). Now I just have to connect the individual drippers and 4mm tube to each arm (max 6 per arm).

Emptied out the old compost from the tomato bed planters and moved the planters along so I get better access to the area next to the water butts. Used the old compost with a bit of BFB and chicken manure pellets to fill up the cucurbit troughs. Filled up one of the tomato beds with fresh MPC (need to get more for the other one) .

Built up a framework of interconnecting supports for the toms (anyone else remember Fisher Technics and when Meccano was a proper engineering megabox kit with general purpose metal parts rather than the single model things?). It’s not Heath Robinson as I didn’t use any string al all, never mind in a mission critical part of the construction (in which case it must be 2 or more pieces tied together).

As I have a couple of plastic patio chairs on the plot I had to do a bit of extended testing on them to make sure they hadn’t been affected by the heat and were still fit for purpose. They passed this time but I think that I’m going to have to run further test when I’m down and it’s sunny.

Planted out my dwarf runner beans – three different varieties although one variety is a mixed bag made up of 4 varieties one of which is one of the other varieties I planted out by itself.

My Scarlet runners are up at the side of the glassless greenhouses, just waiting for the gigantes to show on the other side. Some of the Climbing French are now making their own way up the strings. Just the dwarf french to harden off and plant now.

The rocket and lettuce have germinated and I’m sure that a couple of the basil are up as well. Noticed another Scorzonera plant from a root harvested and eaten last year has regrown. If anyone grows Scorzornera make sure you get all the root out if you don’t want it back in the same spot next year, the year after, etc. Me, I’m just growing around them.

Watered the beans, onions, spuds, herb bed, figs (they are getting big now), JA buckets and Shallot buckets with the new hose and for the first time this year I didn’t look as if I’d been swimming fully clothed.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• You've been busy jay-el!

Most of the day spent helping OH but yesterday I finished weeding big section of veg plot. Today I put together another arch over the path, & searched unsuccessfully for netting to tie to it for peas. Repaired a-frame from last year which now has cfb planted out, telephone peas, & space for more tall peas. Put up a bamboo wigwam and planted out gigantes.

Started on planting out short peas and orach buy had to finish to attend to youngest who had woken up.

Collected more bamboo canes from a friend who has lots growing. Did an after dark slug search. Drowned about 30 in 5 minutes

So much more still to do, but getting there.....
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Yesterday got my first day at the plot for a little while, mostly in the polytunnel but a bit outdoors as well.
        In the poly planted out:
        2x tomato Tigerella infront of my previously planted toms.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Tigerella 70%.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2372829
        Aubergines- 1x Black Beauty on the left and 1x Violetta Lunga 2 on the right

Name:	Aubergines.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2372826
        Chilli's and peppers-1x Sweet mixed, 2x Rokita, 1x Doux Tres long des Landes, 1x Corno Rosso, 2x Super Chilli,1x Cheyenne, 1x Tabasco

Name:	Chilli 1.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2372827

Name:	Chilli 2.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2372828
        2x cucumbers-Passandra and Louisa both looking a bit dodgy at the base of their stems.
        2x Antalya melons.
        Planted outside:
        4x Atlantic Giant pumpkin
        1 x butternut squash Sweetmax

Comment

• First year growing veggies again after a long pause (work and back problems)

Planted PS3, chard and courgettes. Bean sticks are up and I plan to put runner plants in this evening. Tomato plants went in yesterday.

Over the past week, I have planted pots of potatoes, dwarf beans and salad leaves in pots.

Feels good to back in the swing of things.
          :0)

Comment

• Put my last chance saloon Celeriac out, some in the garden, some under cover in the raised bed, if it doesnae grow this year I'm giving up. Last years non crop was huge tops and no big bottoms, I could say a bit like my taste in women, but my wife would beat me up lol.

Comment

• Home early from work, managed to pot on:
              28 Tigerella toms
              8x Courgette 8 Ball
              12x Courgette Primula
              7x Courgette Soleil
              5x squash Sweet Dumpling
              3x Butternut squash Sweetmax
              4x Uchiki Kuri
              7x Pumkins Atlantic Giant

Most of this is for the allotment stall at the village carnival although I will keep 1 each of the courgettes and the Uchiki Kuri.

Comment

• Planted out sweetcorn plants raised in greenhouse. Started to place (not plant) toms in greenhouse border to figure out how to fit at least 30 plants in an 8x6 greenhouse! Not going to happen obviously so which patch of veg garden is going to be overrun with toms? That's anybody's guess as I'm equally short of space there. Next job will be planting out courgettes.

Comment

• Planted my spare Kales into flower buckets one per bucket, gave daughter my two spare cucs and came home with some chitted purple potatoes that have gone into recycling boxes.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Booked a skip and concrete breaker to start preparing the ground for some raised beds, hopefully ready in time for bare root raspberry canes in the autumn!

Comment

• Maybe this doesn't belong here since it doesn't pertain to vegetables but here is where my other stuff has been recorded.

Anyway, for June 1 I couldn't wish for a more beautiful day! During my break I spent the hour outside cleaning bee equipment; frames, foundation, and a deep hive body. Need to be prepared to add to at least one hive shortly since it appears to be bursting at the seams with bees.

I hope they don't swarm.

That was an enjoyable and productive hour. I'll get things assembled and ready so I can put the hive body on the hive tomorrow during my work break.
                      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• Plumbed in some of the drippers in the greenhouse and planted 5 toms, 2 peppers an 5 cucumbers.

Outside I planted out sweetcorn, some dahlias, Litchi Tomatoes, Cape Gooseberries, Tiger cross marrow and a couple of Atlantic Giant pumpkins.

The Gigantes runners are starting to come through and so are my Tiger Nuts.

Pruned off a couple of shoots on the grapes and the kiwi vine plus some suckered on the red currants.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Planted out lots of small peas and tall peas. Put in the bailer twine support for cucs and toms in big gh and twisted plants round them. Also planted out orach.

Hoping to get lots more done tomorrow.
                          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• So far I've watered the garden even though we might get rain this afternoon. I didn't water yesterday and don't want to take a chance that the rain misses us. Spud plants are really looking good!

Fed the bees. Cleaned some more bee hive equipment that I will need this weekend.

During my lunch break today I plan to install on one of the hives the equipment I finished cleaning yesterday. I need to expand the space in that hive soon.

Update: Put another hive body on that hive during my lunch break. I panicked too soon. Bottom hive body wasn't too crowded yet so no threat of swarming due to lack of space. Got it done though! Two more to go but no hurry.
                            Last edited by DWSmith; 02-06-2017, 06:49 PM.
                            Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• Cut sides of privet hedges because they were encroaching on footpath. Mowed hedge cuttings to within an inch of their lives and reduced their bulk four fold, put this into a dedicated compost bin to rot down. Did this last year and it produced wonderful compost/mulch especially assisted by natural compost acceleration.

Comment

• Just planted some Swedes(they insist on calling 'em turnips up here) and then got a nice downpour to water them in for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X