No announcement yet.

Crimson crush seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it VC, go on grow them both. You know you want too!
    It's not like you're planning much else for next year

Apart from everything!

Comment

I grew mountain magic and crimson crush side by side at the allotment this year. Unlike others I didn't like Crimson Crush and about 20% of the fruit got blight.

Mountain Magic on the other hand didn't get blight at all.

Neither ripened on the plants and the CC continued to develop blight in the drawer as they were ripening. MM were much more prolific.

In my opinion, neither have fantastic taste which I assume is because they have ripened off the plant. I'll grow Mountain Magic again.

BTW I grew Alicante, Black Plum, Gardener's Delight and Moneymaker alongside the Crimson Crush and Mountain Magic and got no fruit at all from them they all died from blight before the fruit ripened.

Comment

OK I know they are an F1 but I saved seeds from the free plants shipped out in the first year and grew some last year, the resulting plants had two different types of leaf but the ones that grew with a tomato leaf grew Crimson Crush tomatoes the same as the first year, I have a batch of F2 and F3 seeds now and will grow them again from saved seeds.
        Last edited by Cadalot; 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
          OK I know they are an F1 but I saved seeds from the free plants shipped out in the first year and grew some last year, the resulting plants had two different types of leaf but the ones that grew with a tomato leaf grew Crimson Crush tomatoes the same as the first year, I have a batch of F2 and F3 seeds now and will grow them again from saved seeds.
          How can you tell? The point about Crimson Crush is that they are resistant to both early and late blight so unless you have early and late blight on other plants nearby the fact that the seeds you are growing produce fruit that looks like Crimson Crush surely just means that they look like Crimson Crush, they may not be blight resistant or they might be early or late blight resistant but not both.

I've looked around the web and (unlike Mountain Magic) I can't find any information that identifies the parent plants for Crimson Crush so I don't know what the F2 might be.

(Mind you, I'm doing the same with Mountain Magic this year )

Comment

Handy I got my CC's in the Dobbies half price seed sale

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
              How can you tell? The point about Crimson Crush is that they are resistant to both early and late blight so unless you have early and late blight on other plants nearby the fact that the seeds you are growing produce fruit that looks like Crimson Crush surely just means that they look like Crimson Crush, they may not be blight resistant or they might be early or late blight resistant but not both.

I've looked around the web and (unlike Mountain Magic) I can't find any information that identifies the parent plants for Crimson Crush so I don't know what the F2 might be.

(Mind you, I'm doing the same with Mountain Magic this year )
              Why is it whenever you write something in public, you then find more. I went looking again about Crimson Crush and found this https://www.gardenmediaguild.co.uk/g...n-Crawford/444.

Simon Crawford is the breeder so he would (I assume know the parentage if we wanted to find out more) interesting that its got a different name in the states but when I look at Cloudy Days, the description doesn't seem to be quite the same.

Comment

An interesting experiment, but even if the fruits look the same, have your F2s had the same level of blight resistance as the F1s? I would be surprised if that's the case and it will be even more of a lottery with the F3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                  An interesting experiment, but even if the fruits look the same, have your F2s had the same level of blight resistance as the F1s? I would be surprised if that's the case and it will be even more of a lottery with the F3s.
                  They remained late blight resistant with only minor signs after all other toms on the allotment had kicked up their boots, I had masses for fruit off them and had green toms going red in the greenhouse for ages.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

They remained late blight resistant with only minor signs after all other toms on the allotment had kicked up their boots, I had masses for fruit off them and had green toms going red in the greenhouse for ages.
                    My understanding is that one of the parents of Crimson Crush is late blight resistant and the other early blight resistant so perhaps the one you've grown out is late blight resistant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X