No announcement yet.

Unofficial T&M Potato Growing Challenge 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking (yes I do it on rare occaisions) about the cost of the offer.

It seems to me that for anybody who does not have the right sized pots or bags it is pretty reasonable.

Pound shop bags (normally 2 for £1) = £2.50
    Pound shop seed tatties = £1
    Pound shop glove thingies = £1
    5 packets of veggie seeds from the cheapie supermarket @30p each = £1.50

Total = £6 plus fuel or transport and maybe parking charges to get to the shops.

Good kit for small space growers like me or beginners!
    Last edited by Lumpy; 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
      I was thinking (yes I do it on rare occaisions) about the cost of the offer.

It seems to me that for anybody who does not have the right sized pots or bags it is pretty reasonable.

Pound shop bags (normally 2 for £1) = £2.50
      Pound shop seed tatties = £1
      Pound shop glove thingies = £1
      5 packets of veggie seeds from the cheapie supermarket @30p each = £1.50

Total = £6 plus fuel or transport and maybe parking charges to get to the shops.

Good kit for small space growers like me or beginners!
      I would take the seeds out of the equation as you could get anything, or even seeds you already have.The gloves are a waste of space, go au-natural!Use shop bought Charlotte and plant em in the ground, where most people grow them. Worse case scenario £1.50!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

^^^^.................
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          ^^^^.................[ATTACH=CONFIG]70382[/ATTACH]

You betta believe it!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry Snadger but I do not have the ground to plant them in and as far as the seeds are concerned if I don't want them I can do a swop on the seed circles - so sticking my tongue out to you!
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Thompson & Morgan are offering a Potato Growing Kit to all readers of the GYO magazine (January 2017 - on sale now). Its free but P&P is £5.65.

Buy Plants, Seeds, Fruit Trees & Seed Potatoes | Thompson & Morgan
              The offer includes, 5 Charlotte tubers, 5 growing bags, 5 random packets of seed and a pair of scrubbing gloves.

Anyone care to join me in a little challenge - to see how many potatoes we can grow from these 5 tubers in these growing bags?
              If you really felt up for it, we could grow the 5 packets of seed too and see just how much we can produce for "free"............OK £5.65

Thanks GYO & T&M. I like a Challenge
              Are you sure it includes the gloves as they aren't mentioned on the webpage (apparently those 'magic' scrubbing gloves are useless anyway).

And I'm fairly certain that I can out-grump anybody any day (snadger included). Don't count the seeds (probably rubbish) and you're left with 5 tubers and 5 bags. Those 8 litre bags are about the same size as a black supermarket flower bucket and you can get eight of them for 99p (more at certain times of the year) so I'd say even with limited space, you can equal that kit (and more) for less than a couple of quid
              Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Does it matter?
                I'm doing it because I want to - that's all that matters to me!

I could go to the supermarket and buy a sack of spuds for the money. How come you grumpy lot haven't suggested that

Comment

Does it matter?

I could go to the supermarket and buy a sack of spuds for the money. How come you grumpy lot haven't suggested that
                  Because we like to grow things on this forum.
                  Some of us also like to do it on a budget

It's all good, whichever way you do it

Comment

Does it matter?

Good on you VC, you tellem.....................and me!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Smiled so much at this thread, great points from both sides, lidls buckets are free btw
                      And i find a bit sturdier than mfbs
                      Last edited by jackarmy; 04-12-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Charlotte has landed

The planting bags are about the capacity of a flower bucket and made of the heavyweight plastic that dog biscuits come in. (see how my mind is working?)
                        No handles on the T&M bags so probably difficult to move once full of compost. IF (big IF) I use them I'll put them inside a bucket for rigidity.

The gloves (my 3rd pair) are identical to the exfoliating gloves for in the shower - just an idea

And the 5 packets of seeds..............
                        Melon - Alvaro F1 £3.99
                        Beetroot Wodan F1 £2.99
                        Radish Mars F1 £1.99
                        Salad onion Feast F1 £2.99
                        Tomato Akron F1 £2.99

Charlotte is about to be chitted - lucky girl

Comment

Mine are still dispatching to me - maybe today.......................

Comment

Just been delivered.

As VC said small bags and scrubby gloves.

The seeds are -

Basil - Lemonade £2.29
                            Tom - Essex Wonder (Heritage) £0.99
                            Lettuce - Crisp Mint - unknown price
                            Aubergine - Orlando F1 - unknown price
                            Sweetcorn - Early Xtra Sweet F1 £2.99
                            Lovage. - no seed price

Comment

Six packets of seed!! I've been robbed

Comment

Six packets of seed!! I've been robbed
                                If you fancy any or all of the ones I got I will send them to you............spreading the seedy luvvvvvvvv!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X