Tomatoes shaped like Black Icicle!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone!
    I have some Speckled Roman seeds, bought from Plants of Distinction, sow by Sept 2006 and Cream Torpedo from the same source and date!. I grew these last year and saved a few seeds. Don't think they left much of an impression!

Comment

I must say I really loved the Cream Sausage. Beautiful color, fairly early to start and there are still a few unripe ones on it even now! Nice firm texture and tasty. What more can you want.

Like NG said I got the Striped Roman from one source and like you, wasn't impressed. Oddly enough the Speckled Roman I grew this year, in spite of looking positively awful produced a good number of toms, very very tasty and definitely worth growing again. I had it in the greenhouse, maybe it needs more warmth because the Striped one I grew outside at a south-facing wall. Maybe that wasn't warm enough, or it was a less productive line. Maybe give the seeds I sent in for the circle one more chance?
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Sorry nellie - I've confused you
        I grew Cream Torpedo and was iffy about it. Haven't tried any of the Romans yet - but I will

Comment

I've just ordered some Pertsevidnyy...........only $1.60 for 30 seeds, I'll send you some VC when they arrive from Ukraine.......................that'll be next year then...........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Awww, Thanks BM
            Had to goggle them - they look BIG!!
            I'll add them to the list in #1

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              I've just ordered some Pertsevidnyy...........only $1.60 for 30 seeds, I'll send you some VC when they arrive from Ukraine.......................that'll be next year then...........
              Wanna share?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Wanna share?
                I've just ordered another 200 seeds for 46 cents from another seller so if they arrive I'll give you a shout & send you some.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Grushovka are egg-shaped and pink and very tasty, on bush plants. I got them in a swap but the originals came from Real Seeds.

Comment

I grew Sosulka Oranzheraya (orange icicle) this year. They produced lots and lots of tasty toms on vines that were second to hit the greenhouse roof! I had 8 trusses off them in the end with 5-9 toms on each. I have a few spare seed if you're interested.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

In addition to Black Icicle and Orange Icicle, there is also a Pink Icicle and a Yellow Icicle

Good link to all four Icicle varieties together here:
                      StoreStartup Search | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I've grown Black Icicle and Orange Banana and liked them both and will be growing again. The Orange Banana had a fantastic taste, but were slow to ripen and when late blight hit, it spread very quickly from the plants to the fruit. Very disappointing, so will try and make room for them in the greenhouse next year. I found the Black Icicle to be earlier, and also fantastic tasting, so I like the sound of Sparrow's Orange Icicle.
                      Last edited by Chris11; 20-11-2016, 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling typo

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
                        Just need to choose which to grow now

Comment

Just bumping this to remind myself what to grow this year
                          I've acquired many of the seeds in #1. Its like stamp collecting - nearly completed the set

Comment

Pertseviddny or is it Jersey Devil?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8982.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2374580

Pertseviddny on the left and Pertseviddny Rosvyy on the right.

This is the retailer's image of the Pertsviddny https://www.amazon.com/Tomato-Pertse.../dp/B00HBT04U4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pertsevvinyy.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2374581

and this is Premier Seeds image of Jersey Devil Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerseydevil.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	2374582
                            https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOMATO-JERS...s=tomato+seeds

The same image but flipped over. What do you think? Is Pertsy the same as JD?

As for Pertsy Rosvyy, I'll say nothing about their shape until some more have ripened. Haven't tasted them yet, either.

Comment

I grew "TOMATO - SWEET CASADAY"
                              Quite nice but not very vigorous.
                              I grew some in GH and some outdoors.
                              The foliage is weird and wispy, I assume it a feature and not some disease.
                              Jimmy
                              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Thanks Jimmy Not heard of that one before
                                VEGETABLE TOMATO SWEET CASADAY 15 SEEDS | eBay

Nearly all the Icicle type seem to have these droopy leaves. Takes a while to realise that they don't need watering!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X