No announcement yet.

Have You Started Yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm embarrassed at how many packets of seeds I've "put by". Half price sales are my downfall. Though buying half price green manures were great. I still need one or two more of course. No really...I do!
    BROADIES..nah. Had enough. Too little return. PEAS maybe, but this year I protected them with net curtain and ended up with the most humongous plague of jumbo greenfly you've ever seen truly disgusting! I ended up with green sludge where I had washed them off. . It was scary. As soon as I took off the cover they didn't come back. So only sugar snaps. PARSNIPS if the blighters will germinate.
    Must remember not to sow so much salad leaf at once as ended up with stupid amount.
    More SWEETCORN as badgers left me alone and it's yum.

Comment

Sort of started.
      Sorting out the seeds I don't want...and making a list of what needs replacing.
      I may go with a few more plug plants next year....maybe....
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

allotment kings catalogue was tempting, but brave enough to not place any seed and even potato order. am more about preparing for 2018&after. so any thing that grows in 2017 should be bonus

I wish not to sow any seeds indoors, and buy plugplants...but may be sow few only after mid march and again few each of only early beans,cues and early squash by mid april. rest will try direct sowing and hope they will grow for me. though I will have to do flower seeds at end of march.

hope this way I get bumper crops of 2017.
        Last edited by Elfeda; 23-10-2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Saved some from this years crops, ordered plenty from Kings lotty catalogue to fill the seed draw back up and have ordered next years seed spuds. No doubt I'll take a fancy to something and pick up the seeds locally too.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
            PARSNIPS if the blighters will germinate.
            Bobbin - this year we used the parsnip that came in the freebies from Sutton. I think they were Tender & True - everyone of them germinated.

It was not even tricky to do it - create small trench with your finger in the soil, cover with soil and water.
            Last edited by Small pumpkin; 23-10-2016, 01:19 PM. Reason: Fixing quote
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I am going to start paying more notice to plug plants next year.

Not having a greenhouse seriously affects things.
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Yep- know the feeling Lumpy...I have hardly any windowsills either.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have saved the seeds from the ambrosia tomato which kept on producing, truss 18 and 19 were too late appearing to produce but the rest were fantastic, and considering the weather this year, they were magic. parsnips still going well but the freezer is chock a block, its getting that you couldn't get a pea pod in there, getting earache from OH as nowhere to put stuff. I need to have a sort out with the seeds as I have a 10ltr tub full of veg seeds, one with annuals and one with perrenials and one with bonsai seeds/bumpf, so I will have to scrap most and start again, but with the peach/nectarine and apricot dwarfs coming soon I may get distracted...again... this may have happened before, for full details I refer you to other half, who will give what, where, when and on what date, she is my walking logbook, SWMBO, and she always gets it right....I always get it wrong...

Comment

I got most of my seeds in the Dobbies half price sale, still a few they didn't have to buy though

Comment

Like many other growers we are very limited for space - thats why I whoop with joy if a new dwarf this and that appears in the catalogues.

Having to seriously balance what I wanto to grow against what I have space to grow is doing my head in.

Next year it is only going to be the veggies that taste far better than the shop bought ones - this is my list

Tatties - Charlottes in big buckets
                      Carrots - in MFB's
                      Leeks - Raised bed
                      Runners - squar planters out the front.
                      Broadie - MFB's
                      DFB's - MFB's
                      Sugar Snaps - window baskets
                      Radish/ spring onions/ small lettuces and salad leaves in the same window baskets.

That leaves me with 2 0.5 mt x 1 mt raised beds and 1 0.5 x 0.5 mt raised bed.

Comment

After this years courgette grow off I'm down to Romanescue, Tondo di Piacenza ant Tromboncino for next year.

It's a bean grow off next season with half a dozen climbing french, half a dozen dwarf french, 4 dwarf runners, a couple of climbing runners as well as a couple of unusual beans (yard long, adzuki, lentils).

May try growing rosette again seems I've found some seeds in the filing cabinet. Hopefully I'll have the polytunnel up and ready for it (plus sweet potato and yacon)

Rest of it is going to be pretty standard. Apart from the perennial beds I'm hoping to get up and running.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X