No announcement yet.

Potato Towers!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I'm tempted to give this a go, a pig wire hoop with screen or something wrapped round. At harvest time, remove the screen & stick your hand through the pig wire to harvest:

How to Grow Potatoes in Towers - Sunset
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If you have seen my Calendar pics, you will have noticed that I have had a change of heart regarding the spud cages. Instead of screening the wire cages as per the above vid, I have lined them with leaves. The theory being that you get a better crop if the haulms are allowed to grow through the sides of the cage. From what I have seen, this does seem to support the theory.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

March Update

Just thought I'd put another update on as fingers crossed I'm hoping to harvest them next month. As you can see, they are not ready yet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2371365

What is noticeable however is the haulm coming out of the 3rd from bottom bucket:

Name:	Haulm.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2371366

Comment

April Update!

Still not sure if they will be ready this month:

Name:	IMG_20170402_112831.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2371829

Comment

They are looking really impressive, BM, really healthy and vigorous.

That said, is there any way you could take a bucket or two from the bottom first...?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              They are looking really impressive, BM, really healthy and vigorous.

That said, is there any way you could take a bucket or two from the bottom first...?
              Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............Nah.........

Comment

you could make little trap doors in the buckets then duct tape them shut again.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

That's a good idea Jas but I can't get to the buckets at the back & the front bucket is below the greenhouse base.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Wishing you luck BM
                    So chip butties would have to be made using baggettes I suppose...
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-04-2017, 06:40 PM. Reason: fixing quote

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............Nah.........
                      Not without shouting "timber"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My Expectations & What I Learned!

Reet..........I harvested the buckets today & wot did I get?.............not a lot........Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170411_103434.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2371958........so wot did I expect & wot did I learn...........

1) I wasn't expecting miracles, I would have been happy with 6 spuds per tower, I got 4.

2) I was expecting the spuds to be in the bottom couple of buckets but no, they were in the top couple of buckets only.

3) If I was to do it again, I would put 2 x 2" Diam holes in the sides of each bucket to allow foliage to grow through them. I would also place a seed spud at each bucket level to increase the yield.

So to summarise:
                        It appears that potatoes will not grow without sufficient foliage. Obviously mine were putting too much energy into leaf/stalk growth that they did not produce spuds until the foliage was through the top of the tower, hence only having spuds in the top few buckets. Therefore, holes in the buckets will help with photosynthesis thereby promoting yield growth. Spuds placed at each level "should" increase the yield.

Hereby endeth the lesson................
                        Last edited by Bigmallly; 11-04-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

well experimented BM - I don't think I'll bother for 4 spuds - you can buy em 4 for a squid at the shops

Comment

Very true Vicki but I'm glad I did it as I learned something which I never expected.

Comment

What do you think might have happened had you left them longer? Would that have made a difference?

Comment

They weren't 100% ready to harvest, I needed the space. I don't think it would have made that much difference, maybe slightly larger spuds but that's about it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X