No announcement yet.

Scrapheap Challenge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a lot done at the scrapheap but plenty of weeding and pruning done in the borders at my project house.
    At the scrapheap I just sorted the chooks, fed the toms and cukes with comfrey tea and dropped off another couple of stained glass windows. I will transport the rest of the stained glass windows to the plot soon then decide what i am going to do with them.
    I have an idea in mind!

Spotted a good garden sign in Poundland 'Trespassers will be composted'
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Dug up a couple of plants of Charlotte potatoes to complete the row. Dibbled positions and immediately planted a row of Musselburgh leeks I had waiting in the wings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170702_125854-1377x2448[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2373435

The logic behind this is, as I dig the spuds I plant more leeks. As the leeks will be planted over a period of time this should give me different sized leeks to be harvested over a long period of time.

Took the hoops and blue debri netting off the spring cabbage and calabrese. Only one spring cabbage left to harvest anyaway and the pigeons seem to have left my other uncovered calabrese alone so I should be ok. The netting and hoops will go back on the other similar sized bed when I plant out this years spring cabbage.

Now i have the covers off I can edge the bed with pantiles.

Watered stuff that needed it,, sorted chooks, and did a bit of hand weeding before heading for home and my sunday dinner made with new spuds and calabrese from the garden.
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sowed atwo dozen modules of Fennel.

Shallots are doing well. They are nearly the size of my onions!

Name:	20170704_172410-2448x1377[1].jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2373496

Because it was a nice evening, everything was wet after a recent shower and I was the only one on site, the only noise was the birds tweeting, I decided to sit down on my bench and read a book for half an hour!

A very pleasant evening indeed!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Dug some more Charlotte tatties, some for this evenings meal, some for Sunday dinner and some for a friend at work. Also gathered some red onions and normal onions to make him a little veg box.
          The area where the tatties were harvested was duly re-planted with another row of leeks!

Name:	20170707_172908-1377x2448[1].jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2373521

Gathered a small bag of gooseberries then set off for home.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• More early Charlotte tatties dug up and more leeks planted where they had been up lifted.

Moved My Florence fennel seedlings outdoors.

Harvested half a dozen courgettes which are in full production mode now.

Moved my curly kale and niro toscana out of the summerhouse but put them under a chicken mesh tunnel to keep the flying rats off them.
            Potted on some Jalapeno's that were sown late but could still be fruitful this year.
            Put celery leaf seedlings outdoors to harden off.
            Hopefully pollinated one of my pumpkins by sticking two male flowers into a female flower.
            Did a bit of hand weeding and found some self sown lemon balm and feverfew growing. I have neither growing any where else on the plot.

French beans appear to be heading for the moon.

Transplanted a cucumber plant to the bottom of a sunflower to use the sunflowr as a support!

Plot looking fruitful with plenty of height evident as can be seen below.

Name:	20170714_165434-2448x1377[1].jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	2373653

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Didn't stop for long at the plot today as i had already done a shift cutting the grass and boxing in chimney breast at my retirement pad.. Watered stuff in polytunnel and summerhouse.I'm growing 'Vince' tomatoes without knowing anything about them. They appear to be wrinkled beefsteak so I'll just have to see what they mature to?
              Fertilised leeks and brassicas.

Sowed some 'Red Devil' kale.

Sorted chooks..............chicks are growing apace now!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Lifted my shallots and put them on a couple of boards on top of an IBC to dry out. I had a cuccumbit of some sescription planted in among them so have left it to see what it turns out to be.
                Planted out six Cavelo De Niro kale in the position shallots had been and added some fertiliser and slug pellets. Covered with a frame covered with wire netting to keep the pigeons off.

Covered some Curly Kale with blue debri netting propped up with canes for the same reason.

Sorted the chooks and collected eggs. Watered various potted veg that needed it.

Sat down and read a couple of chapters of a Chris Kusneski book while sitting on my park bench and listening to the birds tweeting

PS Red Devil Kale is up, three days after sowing!
                Last edited by Snadger; 19-07-2017, 08:18 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Snadge, how's Vince?
                  I only have one tom and he's rather oddly shaped - for some reason when I see him, I think of you

Name:	DSCF8891.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2374047

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Snadge, how's Vince?
                    I only have one tom and he's rather oddly shaped - for some reason when I see him, I think of you

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75115[/ATTACH]
                    I have a couple and they are very oddly shaped! They look like a green knobbly mini beefsteak at the mo.

Time will tell!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Hand weeded around the stuff in the polytunnel. Must be getting soft in my old age as I've taken to using a kneeling pad.
                      Noticed my Padron peppers have flowers on them but I have no idea what the peppers will look like.
                      Non F1 calabrese is really cropping well with sideshoots. A bit like PSB, but green!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Harvested about a dozen courgettes. The one below had 'nteresting' growth characteristics!

Name:	20170721_180608-1377x2448[1].jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2374071

Checked on my shallots which I put out to dry yesterday. Looks like I will be making quite a few pickled shallots!

Name:	20170721_181522-1377x2448[1].jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2374072

Who said that herb flowers are boring? Here are my Bergamot flowers which rival anything in a flower border.

Name:	20170721_180236-1377x2448[1].jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2374073

Apart from taking piccies I planted out about a dozen leeks where some of the early tatties had been, munched a few peas straight from the pod and watered whatever needed it.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Snadge, how's Vince?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75115[/ATTACH]
                          Your Vince looks different to my Vince VC?

Name:	20170721_180331-2448x1377[1].jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2374075

I think mine gets the award for weirdness though!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Perhaps mine will grow more weirdness - its only a baby compared to yours!

Comment

• Your plot has really turned around now snadge, well done
                              Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                                Your plot has really turned around now snadge, well done
                                Thank you kindly CG.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X