Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pumpkin ponderings - will they ripen? What's wrong with the leaves? (etc)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a wonderful display Jay-ell..!!

They do still have some leaves on, a bit further up the vine (I cut a lot back so the squash could get the sun on them). Think I'll leave them for another week or so before I cut them off ....!
    Think you can make out the plant/leaves in the photo ~ behind the 'bare looking' bed ...
    Attached Files
    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Those leaves are looking nice and healthy. Mine were brown and dry when I took them off.

You could cut off any little vines and side shoots that don't have squash on them and also take off the ends with the growing tips on so that the plant focuses on the fruit rather than new growth (if you haven't already though it looks like you have).

Nice looking beds - what size are they? Is that the squash growing up the hedge in the background?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Here's my babies

over all view. most of the leaves are still quit healthy.

my two jack-o-lantern

small sugar, starting to ripen.

I do have my other pumpkin (who's name I don't remember the name of right now ), my hundred weight ( embarrassingly smaller the my small sugar! ) and my last two spaghetti squash.
        Attached Files

Comment

They're looking good SP - unless the weather changes they could stay on the vine a bit longer.

One of my small sugar accidentally came off the vine when it looked like yours however it ripened on the kitchen window sill and looks the same as the others which ripened on the vine.

I think small sugar is a pepo - same as most of the courgettes - so I'm wondering what I'll end up with if I saved the seeds for next year.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've never grown a small sugar so small before !!! ( all seeds grown from a packet, from a reputable company, so shouldn't of been crossed ) The smallest I've grown was 4kg. So I'm quite looking forward to trying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
              Nice looking beds - what size are they? Is that the squash growing up the hedge in the background?
              The beds are approx 4ftx6ft ~ and yes that is squash trying to take over the world...!!!!
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

.......SP, they look wonderful..!!!! You're beds look a lot bigger than mine .....but I think if I had a small field the squashes would still try to take everywhere over .......!!!
                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                  .......SP, they look wonderful..!!!! You're beds look a lot bigger than mine .....but I think if I had a small field the squashes would still try to take everywhere over .......!!!
                  They would Susie that's what they do & you got to love'm for it

They will be taking over my garden next year because I'm growing 15 varieties of triffid
                  3 courgette
                  4 pumpkin
                  8 squash

I didn't realise I was growing that many ! I may be in trouble

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X