No announcement yet.

Enjoying harvests

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, agree with the tomatillos. The other great thing is mostly you can't tell when they're ready to harvest just by looking - you have to give the husk a gentle squeeze to see how big the fruit is. So there's a delighted surprise element to harvesting!

The other great thing about the tomatillo harvest for me is that gluts are no problem. I always roast mine and they roast just as well (if not better) from frozen. Any that are picked go straight into the freezer after shucking and rinsing. I bought my chest freezer for my tomatillos
    Last edited by gringo; 03-09-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Easy peas

My favourite harvest has been the tall peas, so easy on the back with no bending! I grew an old variety, Lord Lincoln (or is it Lord Leicester? I forget) and they went on cropping for a long time and I only just took them down yesterday after collecting the last few young pods and some ripe ones for seed. Next year I will try pinching our alternate plants like sweet peas, to see if this increases (or prolongs) the crop.

I read once many years ago that old kitchen gardeners used to walk along their newly emerged pea shoots in their hob-nailed boots to crush them and cause them to send out side shoots for a better crop. Can't quite bear to do that yet, but I always meant to try a bit of pinching out!

Comment

harvested these today, dont know what I am going to do with them all yet, like a jungle in the GH now though and plants are getting top heavy to!

Attached Files

Comment

There are some wonderful comments here everyone, thank you very much. I will unstick the thread now as I have plenty of material to work with for the Allotment Inspiration pages. Enjoy your harvests!

Comment

Raspberries! Its my first year of growing them and I've loved being able to pick them and eat them straight from the garden. Sooo much better than shop bought!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X