No announcement yet.

Is this blight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does look very like blight. The black spots I mentioned on Sungold look like this:

I find this yellowing with black spots inside happens quite a lot on outdoor Sungold and they survive it very well. But yours looks quite different
    Attached Files
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Yeah i know, never mind.

There's not much fruit that looks like ripening at the minute apart from the odd one or two which i keep taking off.

I take it green fruit that's on the plant that is nowhere near ripening won't ripen at all?

Comment

It might. I've had very green fruit ripen, it just takes a while, and the flavour isn't as good. Put some ripe fruit nearby (a banana will do) - it speeds up the ripening process.
        Last edited by Penellype; 18-08-2016, 07:20 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          It might. I've had very green fruit ripen, it just takes a while, and the flavour isn't as good. Put some ripe fruit nearby (a banana will do) - it speeds up the ripening process.
          I done this earlier.

Comment

My two compost bins are sat literally right next to where the blight ridden potatoes were. One of the bins' compost is ready to use and I was going to use it for next years tomatoes! I take it it wouldn't be wise to do this anymore due to the blight spores probably being in it?

Comment

We are told that blight spores can only survive the winter on living tissue. So green foliage, tubers, seeds. If your compost bin is free of potato tubers and fruits, and you haven't composted any blighted tomato fruits, you should be fine.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                We are told that blight spores can only survive the winter on living tissue. So green foliage, tubers, seeds. If your compost bin is free of potato tubers and fruits, and you haven't composted any blighted tomato fruits, you should be fine.
                It's literally compost which is ready to use so there's nothing "living" in there.

What using the compost off this years blight ridden tomatoes next year on my carrots? Would that be safe?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X