Is this blight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    I agree its blight the leaf looks quite healthy apart from the affected areas and yes the whole plant including as much root as possible.
    I'l just bin the whole thing as they're in individual buckets.

Got an awful feeling all my plants are going to go down with this.
    Last edited by Scoot; 16-08-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Not good news Scoot. Agree that binning the lot is the best thing to do, once you have taken off the fruit. You might find that some of it ripens, you might not.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Came to the conclusion this morning that all of the tomato plants in my big growhouse have blight. Only the very early signs at the moment and it isn't spreading fast. So I'm going to keep an eye on them and try and leave the toms on the plant as long as possible. Harvesting them all the green tomatoes now, i doubt many of any would ripen so what have i got to lose?

Comment

I did this a couple of years ago with Chocolate Cherry - the plants clearly had blight but appeared to be fighting it. A couple of days later as the blight spread I changed my mind and picked over 100 green tomatoes, apparently undamaged. Within 48 hours 99 of them had gone brown. I got one edible one.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The longer the blighted plants are around,the more the spores will have a chance to spread & there's a risk of passing it on to neighbours plants too. Spores can use weeds & other plants in the nightshade family as a host plant,waiting for next years tomatoes & potatoes I'd get rid of all the plants save the green tomatoes,there's some green tomato soup recipes etc on here somewhere.

Comment

All i am finding at the minute though is little black spots on the leaves. As of yet there is no black on the stems.

Comment

Cut all those leaves off & then see what happens? If they all have blight it will only be a day or two before they show more brown patches etc If you are unsure it's good to keep watch over them for a few days,it's all learning & experience too.
                Also wash hands after touching those leaves
                Last edited by Jungle Jane; 17-08-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I've been removing them when i have found them over the course of the last 24 hours.

It's just been such a lot of effort since February, sowing them, growing them, buying my new growhouses etc etc for me to just chuck them now. I want to be sure first lol.

Comment

Black spots on the leaves sounds more hopeful - I find some varieties of tomato do this (one is Sungold). Do you have a photo?

Comment

I'll upload a couple tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                        Early sign if tomato blight?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67929[/ATTACH]
                        A few look like this penellype.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          Black spots on the leaves sounds more hopeful - I find some varieties of tomato do this (one is Sungold). Do you have a photo?

Attached Files

Comment

Keep cutting all the affected leaves off Scoot.............and keep your fingers crossed.
                            Looks like blight to me

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Keep cutting all the affected leaves off Scoot.............and keep your fingers crossed.
                              Looks like blight to me
                              That's exactly what I am doing veggiechicken. Yeah, I think it is blight myself.

I'm gutted about this i have to say. I love growing my tomatoes and pit loads of effort into it this year and it'll probably all for nothing.

Comment

Its so frustrating when this happens - but it does all too regularly
                                If you have any tomatoes that look like ripening, pick them and ripen them indoors. I'm doing that with some toms from blighted plants that were outdoors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X